Phenolic Plenum to Lower intake Manifold Spacer-3.4 DOHC

dohc v6

This is a Phenolic Spacer that goes between the Plenum (Upper intake manifold) and the Lower intake manifold. The goal of this spacer is to keep the heat from soaking into the intake air from the engine. The IAT's with the Plenum run around 150 degrees, this spacer drops the IATs to 100

Mark

Price: $69.99

Pics:P1010439.jpg

Damm Mark that's a pretty good deal! I wish i could find the phenolic plenum spacers for the 3400 upper intake again, WOT-TECH stoped selling them a while back, lol. :mad:

I will be sure to tell birdman about these, he needs to get one for his GTP! ;)

WE can make them for any car. You need them for a 3400 you said? Is a 3100 and 3500 the same gasket?

Mark

Hmm, if they were somewhat cheap i would damm sure try and get a set myself, the heatsoak is pretty bad on my car so i'm sure it would not hurt to have a set of these. IIRC the WOT-TECH spacers had O-rings in place of the stock UIM gasket, could you make a similar spacer? Hell i'l even test them out on my monte if you don't have a large port 3X00 to test them on, lol. :D

I'm guessing they're thinking if you're worried about plenum temps, you've probably already blocked off the water passage to the throttle body...

FOr the plenum o-ring we developed a small alumium spacer that moves it back down. Its a pretty tick looking piece.

WE can do a set of 3100 gaskets for $100 for both, if someone wants to try them

They do not come with gaskets, but you can get gaskets from us. We laser cut them.

Mark

Got any proof to back that up?

hate to be skeptical, but i have to agree, i've never seen IATs get above ~110*F, and that was in 80* weather with plenty of time with the engine baking the gutted airbox after a long, hard drive.

not to mention, it will throw off the tune, since the ECM models the air mass based off of estimated intake runner temps(using coolant temp, airflow, IAT and a few other values), which if it does make such a drastic drop in temps, will send the motor LEAN until the O2 sensor catches up.

Not the IAT, the plenum intake temp, this is at thebase of the plenum to lower intake manifold. IAT's dont tell alot on these cars because it monitors the air in the intake not the manifold.

Mark

I dunno, I have run my car at the track to the point where the intake plenum was hot to the touch, even uncomfortable to hold your hand on. That was in the GTP though... we will see how the cutty feels about hot lapping this summer...

Are you going to be doing these on an ongoing basis Mark? or is this a one time run?

hate to be skeptical, but i have to agree, i've never seen IATs get above ~110*F, and that was in 80* weather with plenty of time with the engine baking the gutted airbox after a long, hard drive.

not to mention, it will throw off the tune, since the ECM models the air mass based off of estimated intake runner temps(using coolant temp, airflow, IAT and a few other values), which if it does make such a drastic drop in temps, will send the motor LEAN until the O2 sensor catches up.

Without proof this sounds just like one of those wonder infomercials you see on tv in the afternoons....

The IAT's with the Plenum run around 150 degrees, this spacer drops the IATs to 100

you can see why i worded my comment how i did, yes?

IAT = intake air temp, not intake manifold temp.

i have no doubt that it can lower IMTs, but you still have the issue of the PCM modeling the air charge based on a hotter charge, which is less dense and requiring less fuel.

tune required IMO, at least for the 91-95 3.4 cars, no idea how the OBD2 PCMs do their work.

I dont see how an 1/8th in space is going to drop temps by 50 degrees... I would love for an explanation of how that works

It's not from having more space. It's that the material used doesn't absorb heat real well so the upper manifold doesn't get as hot with that spacer stuck between them.

Think of it like putting a good quality oven mit between your hand and a pot of boiling waters, its going to take a long time for the heat to transfer, this works in the same principle. This isn't something Mark just pulled out of his ass, they have been making phenolic adapters in other automotive communities for years.

as much as i dislike the seller, some of you guys are drinking way too much haterade. Not trying to get into the merits or demerits of this, its a simple product that has seen much use on other cars. You can decide for yourself whether you think its witchcraft or you want to plunk down the change for one. There is plenty of information on this new fad called the internet for either camp.

Think of it like putting a good quality oven mit between your hand and a pot of boiling waters, its going to take a long time for the heat to transfer, this works in the same principle. This isn't something Mark just pulled out of his ass, they have been making phenolic adapters in other automotive communities for years.

It's not from having more space. It's that the material used doesn't absorb heat real well so the upper manifold doesn't get as hot with that spacer stuck between them.

Thanks for the clarification, I wasnt looking at it from that angle... I also havent ever heard of that type of material before but I completely understand how it works now... I believe someone could really benefit from it