Thoughts on this...

alec_b

Well I got a great text tonight at work. There's a guy interested in trading me a '96 Monte Carlo with 180k miles. 3100, it's bright red, no idea of the interior.

Here's a copy of the email I got about the details:

1996 monte, 3.1....Bought it with 155k, had a blown trans. Trans had (Junkyard trans) 137k, but cant be certain. Shifts just fine. Lower intakes and upper plenum done when i got it. New cam sensor, plugs, wires, cai, tps, fuel filter, one headlight and bulb, Alt was newer when i purchased it, belt all good to. Doesnt leak anything. Burns pretty clean to. exhaust ( just cut off. pretty loud but a nice rap to it) Just fixed the ac ( blows real nice!) With new accumulater and orphic tube and freon . Coolant flush was done aboout 2k ago as well. Suspension is tight, motor runs good, with the occasional (miss) nothing horrible. It throws a cam sensor code, which i already replaced. Coils good and pcm as well as ALL wires, which is why havent cared to figure it out, cant find the problem. But only does it randomly, 85% it runs just fine. Other than that its a good car, tires are good, body is pretty clean, the spoiler is in the trunk ( was gonna repaint and clear but havent had time yet) rear quarters have some rust but very fixable. Otherwise pretty clean. Just needs a good cleaning. Was work car so interior is little dirty nothing bad, Glass is ALL good, no cracks.

Has the common 3.1 knock ( dont worry, ONLY when cold start) stupid gm cant make pin to bore correctly....

OH- and the guy that had it before me tinted the tail lights and corners....Not gonna like its a 10 footer.... Looks good from ten feet but not horrible, also i LITTLE overspray that will come off with a little compound for sure.

Think thats it, feel free to text me back if any other questions. Thanks pic took about 2 months ago as well.

post-4737-143689064583_thumb.jpg

Going to look at it saturday. The guy is a toyota guy he's had corolla's before and he's a body tech so he doesn't care how it looks. Big plus. Besides the typical "W" things (trailing arm mount rust, rocker rust, etc.) Anything I should look closely at? None of the issues seem to be THAT bad, although I don't like the cold knock but I know piston slap is more or less common on higher mileage 3100 engines.

Looks to be decent. Like you said, check the normal W body stuff, trailering arms, rear strut towers, LIMs, etc. On the Monte's make sure you check in front of the rear wheels on the rear quarters, they like to rot there too.

PICKING IT UP LATER THIS AFTERNOON! I looked at it today, it's CLEAN. The rockers have NO rot, the only rust is behind the rear wheels and is JUST starting, easily fixed.

It runs and drives GREAT from what I can tell. Trans shifts perfect and it fires right up. Interior needs a good cleaning and a new drivers seat but other than that it's great. Pics soon!