Rear Buckets...

WhatTheFehl

Alright, this weekend I tried a little project. Out came my old leather bench and front leather buckets, and in went a set of quad buckets out of a '94 Cutlass Supreme Convertible. It was pretty much a direct swap, didn't really have any trouble at all.

post-4758-143689064441_thumb.jpg

The console is from a '90 TGP as far as I know... it is only temporary for now, just checking for fitment and such. I may yet trade Nunzi for another one in worse shape, since I want to paint it with vinyl paint to match anyway. I also do not have a back panel or a cover for the pass through. I currently have a temporary cover for it (I painted a piece of cardboard black :lol: )

My question is... to those of you who have done this before in a 1st gen not setup for quad buckets, or in a 1.5 gen... how did you mount the rear console? Currently I just have it resting in there. I did some searching through old threads on this site and I'm wondering if there is another way to mount them in than dropping the gas tank and drilling holes for the brackets? I would really rather not drop the tank just to put in a couple brackets. Has anyone done it any other way?

tack weld

Okay... but I don't have welding skills or access to supplies either :lol:

BTW, the seats are in great shape. The driver's seat is even quite a bit more comfortable than my old one. Thanks Matt.

Tack welded or not at all. You can't drill holes because the fuel tank is directly underneath.

In my old '90 LE I never had my rear console bolted to anything, it just fit snugly enough between the rear seats.

I have mine currently fitting snug between the seats.

What I was gonna do since Ken gave me a floorpan section from a bucket equipped car, I was gonna cut out the small section where the studs are for the console, and use this 'steel epoxy' putty to bond them together. Thats some pretty tough stuff:thumbsup:

Just do that, and grind or sand the mating surfaces to bare metal and them 'glue' them together. Let it dry, throw some paint on and bolt to console in.

you know.... my dad has done demos of Plio-Grip(?) before, and that shit is insanely strong.

Never heard of it.

I know the 'Steel Epoxy' or whatever putty from Autozone is like $5. Ive already used it for several things, so its come in handy and was strong enough once completely cured to drill and tap. Not for a bolt with 100ftlb torque, but it worked:lol:

http://www.pliogripbyvalvoline.com/

wicked stuff.

one of his demos involved hooking up a machine to a quarter panel that was properly welded on, and measure how much force it took to start breaking welds.

then on the other side, instead of welding, he used the pliogrip, and instead of welds breaking, the panel just bent WAY the fuck out of shape before it finally let go.

You know, I was just going to mention this sounds a lot like the stuff we use at my work (to glue certain 1/4 panels and roof skins and the such on to vehicles) that's made by Fusor but this looks like it beats that. Wow.