parking brake not releasing well

npfd

Since last year, we have had trouble on our 97 CS, 4door with the parking brake not release fully, so that we have to manually pull back for it to click, like an inch or so.

We examined the calipers, springs, cables all seem fine, except the metal braided casing inside the car, underneath the carpet, is rusted like crazy, and it looks to me like this casing is supposed to hold the cable in place.

I've tried adjusting the slack in the cable, but once I get closer to getting a good adjustment, and the parking brake working well, the pedal releases but the tires stay a little locked up. So I have to back it off. Overall the parking brake is not that strong, and requires continual adjustment.. let's say after 6 months...

Any way to correct this? or any lubrication points on the pedal mechanism? If I recall correctly, when I've tightened the slack out of the cable, I think the pedal fully releases, but the cable does not fully release at the wheels are hard to turn..

Thanks.

heyyy,

I think the cables are fine, as its the braided metal casing from the floor pan that is corroded, and every time we press the brake, you see the cable come up from underneath the carpet.

Does this make sense? We checked the cables in other areas, underneath, near brake calipers all looked fine...

I don't think we'll change cables, as well the car should last another couple of years, hopefully.. rust is starting to get to the body, and the passed waterleaks inside the car...

Thanks!