the 03 is overheating. FFFUUUU

9lumina6

On my way to pick up my sister today I was driving thru Irondequoit and in town randomly noticed my temp gauge was crawling up passed the 215 mark. It had never done that bfore...I turned the heat on full blast and it would stay steady right around 210. Every so often would go back down to ~195. Got on the expressway and the temp was normal....and then randomly even at 70mph crawled right back up to 215-220...then back down again.

Bubble in the system...or bad thermostat? I did also notice the coolant tank was near empty. I just bought a 180 t-stat for it and will put it in once it cools down...and I'll add more coolant t the radiator while I'm at it.

Any suggestions??

WTF! Its possible it might be the water pump... I remember rich telling me his car went through 2 or 3 water pumps... But I don't know where I would start looking... Maybe check around for any external leaks

WTF! Its possible it might be the water pump... I remember rich telling me his car went through 2 or 3 water pumps... But I don't know where I would start looking... Maybe check around for any external leaks

It has been leaking what looks to be coolant intermittently lately.......once in a while there will be a spot under the water pump area....I could never pinpoint the leak tho. And as for the overheatn issue....it was low on coolant....(low coolant light never has come on though). I just put a brand new 180 t-stat in and ran the car while filling the radiator and overfill tank. I used a good 3/4 of a gallon to fill it completely. Let it idle for 5 or 6 minutes and the temp stayed right between 180-190. I'm waiting for my other laptop to charge so I can change the fanpoints with the powrtuner, and then I'll take her out for a ride.

I'm assuming you've checked to make sure it's not in the oil?

I just changed the oil last wekend....and it did not look abnormal in any way.

The top coolant elbow is dry as a bone....I can't see the bottom one tho. I did notice today that it is damp just to the inside of the harmonic balancer.....wich is directly under the WP....I'm wondering if the WP gasket is on its way out.

Drove it around this evening...everything is back to normal. Even sat in the McDonalds drive thru and the temp stayed right where it should.