97 Cutlass Supreme with poping door hinge

over40driver

coupe? sedan?

remove the rubber grommit mounted into the door and see if the bolts holding the mechanism within the door are tight.

MODIFICATION:

get some 3/16th inch 1 inch diameter fender washers (Lowes and TSC have them) and place them between the bolt heads and the door to strengthen the door metal which can fatigue and break.

Ive been working on cars for a long time, yet I didnt think to check for loose bolts. The bottom one was half way out. Thats what I love about forums. Thanks CrazyK

This is another one of those items to grab at the local junk yard whenever possible. Just a tip: the passenger side is the same so usually it's best to get that side since usually that door is opened less.

Joel

the non-courtesy hold on coupe doors always giving me problems too. they rip ant tear away at that metal and I have to do the washer mod. then they thank me by trying to take my leg off one day. like a croc sneaking up on me out of the swamp the second I turn my head.

I always have noticed the 'pop' on my W's as being the check link also.

So can anyone verify that the passenger side one truly is basically the same? If so that's awesome! Every W that I've owned since I started driving them has done this.

I recall that coupes were coupe only, and sedans were front only and rear only. but left and right on the same door of the same type were interchangeable.

That is correct.

Joel