Heater pipe bleeder valve

anton74

Guys,

My heater core or the pipes inside the firewall started leaking, so I disconnected the heater completely and bypassed it with a piece of heater hose. While burping the system, I snapped the bleeder bolt on the heater pipe.

Is it possible to fix it without drilling and tapping? I don't have any experience in removing broken bolts. May I unscrew the larger hex nut of the bleeder valve and replace it with something else, like a bolt of suitable size or some kind of plug found in hardware stores? Also, do I really need to remove that bolt? There is another bleeder valve on the thermostat inlet, and, since the heater is bypassed, I thought that opening of the heater bleeder valve is not necessary.

Thanks,

Anton.

Yep, you can remove the larger hex nut and replace it, i broke mine a while back as well, i had to grab another one from the junkyard. Should be a VERY easy fix. :thumbsup:

P.S: I would use a bit of water pump gasket maker on the threads just to be on the safe side.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=water+pump+rtv&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&prmd=ivnsfd&resnum=3&biw=1659&bih=963&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&wrapid=tlif130211102526510&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=6669941876351602565&sa=X&ei=HqOcTdqSCdS2twep2dytBw&ved=0CFoQ8gIwAA#

Edited by MonteCarloDude
Added link.