Broken Passenger Window

virtuetovice

My Cutty is on its period. Tire blew and the drivers side lock decided to reject my key in the SAME HOUR. Passenger side never worked. :facepalm:

Anyway, I beat it into submission and now I have a passenger seat full of front window glass. I ran it through Hollander for an interchange and this is all I got:

CUTLASS 88 FWD

CUTLASS 89

CUTLASS 90-93 2 Dr

C'mon, there has to be others that fit! Maybe one of the human W-pedias here would know of a suitable swap? Maybe even a shortcut or two in the removal/replace process?? :D

CUTLASS COUPE ONLY!!!! FYI, I interchanged 92 and 94 door glass, so it may actually be the same 88-97 HOWEVER, I once tried to salvage a clip from some window to fix my window and discovered a thickness difference in the door glass of a lumina (might have been aftermarket???) try to get a 88-93 glass for best fit.

J?Y removal is not too hard, you should pull the doorpanel off, use a pry bar to move the regulator if the window it at the top position (crank windows = EASIER!) and find the point on the rear slide near the top where the the window guide is.. you need somethign to the effect of a pair of old credit cards to wedge and wiggle between the track and the guide so that the top guide will come out. It is best to start above or below the guide and slide the card up to it, and you must do it for the inside and outside. once the top piece is out go to the front of the door and either unbolt the 2 10mm bolts for the front track or bend the track wider to extract the front guide(bottom front corner of glass)

I know this glass must have been thick as Hell because I hit it HARD 3 times with a box wrench that was about the length of my arm and weighed about 4lbs. The 4th blow finally did it. I still can't believe how strong that glass is... :eek:

you broke the window to get in? i always fished a coat hangar through the door jamb and pushed the unlock button. locked my only set of keys in there prob 3-4 times

It wasn't such a big deal to break it, I had planned on replacing that window anyway. It was pretty torn up with dog scratches and looked like shit. Not the way I had planned on replacing it, but whatever. I now know how to replace the glass and the window FLYS up and down because I cleaned and lubed everything. When it rains, flowers grow. ;)

For the record an 88 Grand Prix window worked just fine. There is a size difference but its so miniscule that it's not worth worrying about since the guide closest to the door handle is so big. The window moves up and down just fine and seals perfectly. The Cutty also got tires courtesy of the United States Treasury. :dance: