swap to tach inst cluster 98 lumina

1979lee

I'd like to swap my non tach cluster for a tach one, its an easy swap,

my questions is What year lumina/mc can i get the cluster from 95-01 have the same looking cluster, but which year will work?

about 3 years ago i came across a tach cluster for my lumina, i installed it , everything but the fuel gauge worked (the fuel gauge needle kept moving a bunch). i swapped over my spedo into it to keep the miles accurate. i think that other ckuster was from a 95 or 96 lumina.

Thanks everyone, yall rock.:)

I did this on my old 96 Base model Lumina.....and IIRC I had to use one out of either a 95 or 96. I think I put one out of a 97 on it originally and just the fuel gauge didn't work. The 2nd one I used was out of a 95 I think and everything worked flawlessly...completely plug and play. Yours being a 98...you SHOULD be able to use anything 97+. I did the exact same thing by swapping the odometer/speedo over to the new one. Pretty easy task.

I did this on my old 96 Base model Lumina.....and IIRC I had to use one out of either a 95 or 96. I think I put one out of a 97 on it originally and just the fuel gauge didn't work. The 2nd one I used was out of a 95 I think and everything worked flawlessly...completely plug and play. Yours being a 98...you SHOULD be able to use anything 97+. I did the exact same thing by swapping the odometer/speedo over to the new one. Pretty easy task.

Yeah its going to be nice having a tach!

Thanks for the info, the time b4 the tach worked perfect. if it dosent work this itme around im gonna put my current fuel gauge in the new cluster.

ive tried to add a few options to this base lumina, i put in a delco factory theftlock cd stereo, and illuminated passenger vannity mirror.

Anyone know how to add factory cruise control??? HAHA

she's a good car, now i just need to hit the yards and fine me a cluster.:)

Edited by 1979lee

Cruise control wouldn't be hard to add I wouldn't think...

I one uped you on the radio.. Found a factory one with CD on ebay, that someone had added an AUX plug onto the front so I can play my iPod! Best money I've ever spent on that car!!!!!!

Cruise control wouldn't be hard to add I wouldn't think...

I one uped you on the radio.. Found a factory one with CD on ebay, that someone had added an AUX plug onto the front so I can play my iPod! Best money I've ever spent on that car!!!!!!

You can do that to one of these radios? SWEET:dance:

Iwas kinda jokeing about the cruise.... HAHA.

Yeah, not sure how exactly he did it. Here's one on ebay, that looks like mine, but this one is for a truck...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy-Truck-GM-Delco-CD-Radio-Ipod-MP3-SAT-Aux-15769357-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem27b9ad8b30QQitemZ170618882864QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo

Looks like prices have gone up since I got mine though...I didn't pay nearly that much, although it was more than a regular radio...

Been there, done this on my 2 base Luminas. 95-96 are those years only, and 97+ works fine. Just be sure you are paying attention to the gear selectors on whether or not it's a floor shift or column shift, as that is the only other difference.

The pins on a 95-96 for the fuel gauge are 3 pin, and the 97+ is 4 pin, this is why they do not work.

Been there, done this on my 2 base Luminas. 95-96 are those years only, and 97+ works fine. Just be sure you are paying attention to the gear selectors on whether or not it's a floor shift or column shift, as that is the only other difference.

The pins on a 95-96 for the fuel gauge are 3 pin, and the 97+ is 4 pin, this is why they do not work.

I went to the yard yesterday, pickedup and installed the cluster, IT works great, i swapped my spedo over, and all the bulbs, mine were newer and cleaner.

i got it out of a 97 m/c the mc had 182k on it black interior, car was fully loaded., somebody cooked the engine in it , the temp was maxxed out on the cluster and the trunk was full of antifreese juggs, not dexcool.

here is a pic of the installed cluster.

thanks to all for your help.:thumbsup:

post-2500-143689063095_thumb.jpg

Nice! Did you swap over the odometers too? Or did you not care too much about that? I swapped mine over because at the time the cars were low mileaged enough where I wanted to still keep accurate track of them.