1997 pontiac wipers lost home position

bourmanr

Hi guys, new here still trying to figure out this forum, way different than most to post some thing, but any ways, My wife has a 1997 grand prix, the wipers seem to have lost the home position, when you shut them off they go up to the up position and stay there, i adjusted them by lossening the nuts and putting them in the home position, now they go back but when you use them they still stop up in the up position, until you shut them off? Now the passenger side one quit all together, just before it did, it went way over and shoved the driver side one completly off the window, then the next pass it bound up on the driver side. I was told to come ask here from yesterdays tractors, and some one there mentioned it may be the wiper motor, or maybe the control module? If so are they hard to change? and another prob with it is the low coolant light comes on all the time, but when i add coolant to it it only takes not even a cup of antifreeze? I did notice that when that patricular light comes on the rpms go up a tad, and when it goes off, and yes it goes on and off all the time without adding antifreeze, the rpm drops, maybe 200 rpms, and if ur using cruise control, it shuts that off too. Thanks for any and all replies!! Bob

Your wiper motor issue is the wiper motor park switch. It sits under the wiper motor circuit board on the wiper motor.

It would prolly be better to just get a new complete wiper motor unit. You can replace the switch, but you also have to have the park pawl arm installed correctly and it can be a pain.

As for the wiper arms themselves, if you didnt tighten them a lot, they easily strip out on the linkage. New arms will fix that issue with some locktite on the posts and tightened correctly.

And it sounds like you are a bit low on coolant, top it off, make sure no air is in the system, and replace the cap. The cap is prolly weak and allowing too much coolant to bleed off into the resovoir as rpms pick up, so when you drop off the rpms, its not all getting sucked right back in and triggering the low coolant light.