92 regal gs brake light switch adjustment/calibration

9RegalGS2

hi i have the misfortune of the dreaded brake light switch that sits way up on the brake pedal.ive removed the old one and had a new one in there which broke upon me trying to calibrate it to keep my brake lights off at rest.my question is,how to you calibrate it?the instructions with the new part are quite vague.and is that little metal tab on the switch what you hold to adjust it?i tried the depress brake pedal and adjust but that didnt work..perhaps theres something im missing?like calibrate it before putting in etc?

where to start...

its kinda a pain in the balls design but once you get the hang of its its no big deal, basically get a small 90* pick or other small hook and get way up under the dash, with a small flashlight and you should see the little metal hook on the brake lamp switch. with your pick pull that out and while pulling it out completely compress the brake pedal as far as you can go then let the hook back and let the pedal return you should hear a few clicks as it goes back up. and it should be good to go, if it does not work do it again, sometimes it takes a few trys to get just right.

yes sir i have had one in and broke it trying to adjust it.so i took that one out and put the tabs back in place that came off track on the opposite end.swapped it for another one just in case put it in did just what you said,probly 20-30 times just to make sure i did it every which way imaginable.i even managed to get a finger in there and pry the tab toward me while the brake was pressed i just cant seem to get it to give me any clicks i even took it back out clicked it in a few adjustments put it back in and nodda brake lights are still on when the pedal is at rest.im thinking that its either that im not doing it correctly even though i think i am.or that the autozone aftermarket switches just suck complete butt and are defective out the box,in any case i have no skin left on my hands and my lower back is dead from leaning reversed for hours on end.gonna try to find a place that will adjust it for me cause im physically crippled from it!i work at a shop and the guys i work with have never had to do one like that...

wait wait.i did it exactly like you described and didnt think it worked but went to get it adjusted at another place popped the stop light fuse back in hit the brakes and they went on and off ........AWESOME. i did it without even knowing it lol.the instructions that come with the new part said to do it in a diffrent order which i guess didnt work.its noce to have lights again and not have to use the stop hand signal,which nobody seems to understand...but yeah thank you white93z34 epic save.....