Voltage Light

Spectrum

1997 Lumina LTZ, 3.1L

The voltage light has been coming on when I come to a stop at lights and am idling. It goes away as I accelerate away. Battery was tested, replaced. Alternator is 2 years old and tested fine. No problems with lights dimming or car acting like it's about to die. Cold idle is 1100ish and warn idle is about 800-900. Stock stereo. Any ideas?

Light came on when I took an offramp and stopped at a light yesterday. Came on this morning too.

Any way to test the voltage regulator or is that within the alternator?

yeah, the regulator is internal, GM hasn't made an externally regulated alt for quite some time....

sounds to me like the alt just can't keep up with whatever draws are present at low RPM....

how exactly was the alt tested?

Alt was just tested at autozone using the battery terminal with car running.

Can't imagine this is the connections, as they were solid when the new battery was installed.

Is checking the belts and tensioner as easy as just checking for slack on them with the car off? I'm admittedly not mechanically inclined; all I can do is air filters, wiper blades and bulbs...

• 3 weeks later...

So belt and tensioner look fine, taut, no tears or cracking. I don't know what connections to check other than the battery side posts and the aux terminal. I found a guy on craigslist to replace the alternator, belt and belt tensioner for $40, so I guess that'll be my next step. Getting a Dayco poly-rib belt, Dayco tensioner and a new Remy 105amp alternator from Advance Auto. If I'm replacing the alternator, might as well do the belt and tensioner while I'm at it right?