Good moderately priced battery?

Galaxie500XL

While checking my '95 LQ1 for an issue with the TPS, I noticed my scantool showing a voltage (engine off key on) of 11.8 volts from the battery.

While the car is starting fine, this is rather low voltage, and it looks like it's time to buy a new battery before I get stuck somewhere.

There are so many choices these days, some are very expensive, which is outside of my budget.

Any recommendations for good batteries that cost under $100.00?

clean your battery terminals and verify that the cells are all full?

I'm thinking the next battery i get i will grab will be from Sam's club. 75 series "energizer" battteries are about $70? I would NOT buy the walmart battery at $83.

Good points...everything is as it should be...the battery is 5 years old, it was in the car when I bought it.

Several friends have been burned by the Wal-Mart batteries, I tended to paint Sam's with the same brush, but I may have been hasty in doing so.

I'm through with the walmart crap batteries, had 3-5 of them fail in the past few years. Last one I have left is in my bonneville which has somehow done me good for the past few years but when its done I won't buy another.

NAPA batteries seem to be good, don't know who makes em though. And the Interstate in my girlfriends euro seems to be holding up good despite being 3 or more years old now.

However from here on out I'll probably be sticking to gel cell batteries. I love the Optima in my z34 and will be buying another soon for the tgp.

My 1997 Lumina had a 700CCA Autocraft Gold from Advance Auto for 9 years, in Ohio and Pennsylvania weather. It was finally replaced with another simply because it was down to 200A despite still cranking fine. $90 at Advance.

Good information! It seems that batteries are not as good as they used to be, with the exception of the premium models, but the information presented here is very useful.

Of course, I'd have more money if I hadn't just spent a bit for new plug wires, but $54.00 for the OEM AC/Delco wires for the LQ1 was too good a deal to pass up. :thumbsup:

Are the gel batteries that much better, that I'd be better off waiting until I can get one?

not sure how true this is...

"Most auto batteries are made by just three manufacturers, Delphi, Exide, and Johnson Controls Industries. Each makes batteries sold under several different brand names. Delphi makes ACDelco and some EverStart (Wal-Mart) models. Exide makes Champion, Exide, Napa, and some EverStart batteries. Johnson Controls makes Diehard (Sears), Duralast (AutoZone), Interstate, Kirkland (Costco), Motorcraft (Ford), and some EverStarts."

http://autos.msn.com/advice/CRArt.aspx?contentid=4023696

I must have good luck with Wal-Mart batteries. I killed the shit out of my Everstart Maxx a couple of years back, and left it to sit in negative degree weather for a week. Took it to Wal-Mart, they charged it for an hour, I never had a problem after that.

I've had the same luck out of the Interstate battery that's in my Land Rover. It sat dead and frozen in my garage all last winter. Just for the lulz, I stuck it in, jumped it, drove it around for 3 hours and haven't had a single starting issue since.

Unfortunately, there are no Costco stores in this part of Tennessee...but there have been persistent rumors that Costco is working on a deal to get one here...

I've never had a problem with walmart batteries...

Same here.

I've never been in a car stranded because one died, never bought one, never had one in one of my cars!

I've never had a problem with walmart batteries...

Seriously Buck? Those are the biggest POS battery on the market. Although the "Maxx"

battery doesn't seem bad, the basic battery is junk. I've seen 5 that were crap

within the first month.

I'd go with Napa or O'reilly super start battery. Both have been great long lasting

batteries. I have a Napa gold that is 7 years old and still working great.

Seriously Buck? Those are the biggest POS battery on the market. Although the "Maxx"

battery doesn't seem bad, the basic battery is junk. I've seen 5 that were crap

within the first month.

I'd go with Napa or O'reilly super start battery. Both have been great long lasting

batteries. I have a Napa gold that is 7 years old and still working great.

Lol, yes seriously, I've bought and used several, never had a problem!

I used to like them, I think they (walmart) changed up manufacturers as the older everstart maxx in my bonneville says "made by exide" on it and the newer ones i have do not.

Lol, yes seriously, I've bought and used several, never had a problem!

Been running two of em, one for 3 years and one for 5. (Truck and Monte respectively). I coughed up the extra ~$10 for the MAXX to the get the 3 year free replacement (NOT a prorated like most parts stores batteries are as soon as you walk out the door with them) If you're cunning, you can let one sit discharged and go bad at the 2 year, 11 month mark, take it to the idiots at Walmart and do this 2 more times for a potential battery lifespan of at least 6 years+ FTW.

I used to like them, I think they (walmart) changed up manufacturers as the older everstart maxx in my bonneville says "made by exide" on it and the newer ones i have do not.

I suppose it has been a while. There's a walmart battery in the Monte z34 that's never given us any issues, I think that's the most recent walmart battery I've bought

you can always use a battery as a somewhat uncontrollable DC arc welder if you want to really discharge it...

i mean, something always needs welded right? :D

Interstate or Diehard Gold. Ive had great luck with both of those. I see alot of the walmart/autozone/pep boys etc. batteries in cars at my work that are shot after only a few years. Ive also had some bad luck recently with NAPA batteries, although they were the cheapest ones they sell.

I have Duralast(autozone) batteries in two of my GP's and an Autocraft(advance auto) in the other car. One of the duralast batteries is 6 years old now, the other is around 2yrs old. The autocraft is only ~6-7 months old at this point. You can pick up the autocraft w/ a 2yr free replacement for about $50-55 with the online discounts from advance auto parts for what it's worth. Go to slickdeals.net and search for "advance auto." You'll find lots of threads there with various coupon codes. I've been buying a lot of stuff from advance lately just due to the discounts they have. You can use the "site to store" option and go pick up your parts immediately if they're in stock.

Edited by mfewtrail