Looking at a 1994 lumina?

jdb3667

Hi everyone I am looking at a 1994 lumina euro with 130,000 that my neighbor is selling she is asking 700.00. The car needs a new battery because it hasn't been started all winter and new brakes and a front tire. I am looking for something just to drive to work all highway. Are there any problem that this car has that I should look for and are there any known problem around this milage that come up? Do you think this would be a good buy for what im looking to use it for? Also wondering what type of fuel economy I could expect from it. Thanks for any help its much appreciated.

3.1? or 3.4???

a 3.1 will be decent daily driver quality... assuming everything is tuned up proper the car is rated 19 city 29 highway, and that is mileage I have achieved regularly in similar vehicles.

A 94 lumina will still be using the 88-93 type rear brake calipers. expect them to be bad. Converting them to the newer 94-97 type calipers has been the usual procedure for everyone who knows they are much better quality.

expect to have to fix the oil drive gear gasket: write up available in FAQ

I have had issues with injectors failing more on this type of engine than not, but hey, they have aged and not to be unexpected.... hence ohm testing them to verify they meet specification should be done if you ever go under the intake.

Pretty much what Crazy K said, brakes kinda suck on these, and the oil pump drive seal. A 3.1 car should go for miles and miles asking little in return. A 3.4 car needs a little more attention but will do the same.

So I bought the car changed the battery and it started right up idled nice and smooth. So I took it around the block and I can hear metal on metal coming from the rear brakes. So are my only opions to do a 94+ upgrade or is there aftermarket upgrade that can work? What makes these brake set up so bad? also before I bought the car I picked up a cheap pair of pads to throw on just to see how the car feels do you think Im wasting my time putting them on and do I need the special square tool?

Thanks

There is aftermarket, but from what I understand the 94+ conversion works for most people.

The reason the brakes are so bad is simply poor design. The rears are especially prone to failure.

Dunno about the square tool, I've never had to use one myself. I've always compressed the piston with a big C-clamp :dunno:

Edited by virtuetovice

If by square tool, you're talking about the tool to turn the piston back into the caliper, yes you'll need one for the rears. If the piston is stuck and doesn't turn back in, the calipers are garbage and you'll need to replace with either new aftermarket or the aforementioned 94+ rear swap. Obviously it would be a lot easier to just get a new caliper as the the 94+ swap requires changing the knuckle, but the swap is worth it if you're up to finding the parts and doing it.

I think my 90 Lumina is the only Lumina that still has the original rear brake setup, possibly on this forum. Mainly because I am too lazy to upgrade it and the brakes actually have been working fine. When I first got the car I had to replace the calipers, (this was back in 02) but since then I've put 25k or so on it and have had no issues. If you're looking to just throw pads on it and try and see if you can get it to work it's worth a shot, but knowing what I know now, next time they fail I'll be upgrading.

You CAN just install the factory type rear brakes, but they suck and constantly need service. For the cost of the parts you would be better off getting good 94+ brakes. ALL KNUCKLES ARE THE SAME on gen 1 cars. hell, I think even gen 1.5! The rear brakes of a 94+ are direct bolt on, but you need to get the bracket and all related hardware from a donor. I would start by going to the j/y and scavenging what they have, as you will probably find good hardware on something.

one issue you face when you go to 94+ brakes is that you will need to figure out the parking brake cable: the best solution is to grab the lines from a 94+ car and attach them to your car, but you will need a bracket added to your car that you may have the weld in place (take a look at a 94+ car's system to understand)

Has anyone delt with A1 cardone calipers?

supposed to be decent quality, but i would start at a junkyard for the 94+ parts... remember if you do to grab the short 18mm bolts that go into the knuckle... and everything past that....

On my euro i drive during the winter, i purchased lifetime replacement Ac Delco calipers. I didnt have the time nor the patience at the time to deal with swapping the 94 brake upgrade, already am in the process of finishing it on my 92 base sedan. If those go, ill replace them for free. I did install slotted rear rotors and ceramic pads though i purchased online.

On my euro i drive during the winter, i purchased lifetime replacement Ac Delco calipers. I didnt have the time nor the patience at the time to deal with swapping the 94 brake upgrade, already am in the process of finishing it on my 92 base sedan. If those go, ill replace them for free. I did install slotted rear rotors and ceramic pads though i purchased online.

ive also got lifetime replacement rear calipers on my 92' maybe someday ill do the swap the parts needed for the swap are easy to come by

You CAN just install the factory type rear brakes, but they suck and constantly need service. For the cost of the parts you would be better off getting good 94+ brakes. ALL KNUCKLES ARE THE SAME on gen 1 cars. hell, I think even gen 1.5! The rear brakes of a 94+ are direct bolt on, but you need to get the bracket and all related hardware from a donor. I would start by going to the j/y and scavenging what they have, as you will probably find good hardware on something.

one issue you face when you go to 94+ brakes is that you will need to figure out the parking brake cable: the best solution is to grab the lines from a 94+ car and attach them to your car, but you will need a bracket added to your car that you may have the weld in place (take a look at a 94+ car's system to understand)

You don't need to weld it. Bolt it on with some self-tapping screws.