Dealers are crazy 2006 Monte SS

W30post

I stopped at a local dealer today to see what the deal was on an 06 SS. It looked great in pictures and from first glance it was nice.

The car had 58025 on the clock and was scuffed up in a couple places. The front end had a lot of abrasion on the paint that would drive me nuts.

Anyway, NADA retail was north of $15K so I just went to humor myself. Ask price was $18,999. i about fell out. Even worse, the car was from up north and was kinda crusty already. I just left. I didn't even want a test drive. What a dissapointment that was.

Yes that price is crazy! I paid 13k for my Impala in July 2010 and its GM Certified. It had just less than 50k miles, brand new tires and brand new pads and rotors on all four corners.

That mileage isn't very high for an 06 though. That car could have been put in service in 05 so assume its been on the road for 6 years: 9670 miles a year or 5 years: 11605 miles per year. Not bad at all when it comes to mileage.

That car will be on the lot for a long time. The dealer I bought mine from had an 09 impala that is still there. When I bought mine the 09 was priced at 20k, it has since dropped to 17k and still sitting there. Mine had a sticker on it saying 14500 and I ended up getting it for 13k, so you know the prices are jacked way high.

Yeah, dealers really try to rip you off... My HHR for example when I bought it. The dealer got it in in September..... It was priced at 16k. Waaay overpriced. In fact, I glanced at it, never gave it a second thought. Come February, 5 months later it was reduced to 12k. I got them to come down to 10,800. And you know they still made a profit!

CrazyCarKid, that is how I bought my Monte now. It sat on a lot 9 months. It was about 3K out of the ballpark of a good deal. It sat and sat. Then I saw the 3K mark down and stopped to look more seriously. I got some more off the price to boot.

The 06 I was talking about above, I don't see this dealer dropping ti anytime soon. Maybe I'm wrong but I think they prey on the people with lower credit scores and get them in to something that just burries them. The biggest claim I see was the lifetime warranty on the powertrain thrown in the deal. Whatever on that.

Just to give you an idea, since I work at a dealer, I hear some of the inside info on some vehicles... We had an 06 Cummins Diesel Ram 2500 on our lot... Pretty low mileage... We gave the guy 12k on trade and put 1000 bucks into it and put it on the lot for 28k... We sold it for 25k just 3 days later... So we made 13k profit on 1 vehicle... But that doesnt happen all the time... Some cars we have had, we will never get out of what we sank into them