door lock actuator sticky.. and water leaks again

npfd

Hey there,

I quickly looked at some of the posts on the door locks. The driver side door, on a 97 CS four door, seems to have trouble unlocking in cold weather, winters here in Canada.

We already greased the door mechanism, linkages, and still it gets stuck, as in won't unlock when using the power door locks not even with the key, hard to turn. While the rear doors unlock, and the passenger side slightly unlocks more than the driver side.

After a good while of messing around with the door locks, car heating up then it finally unlocks. We have already taken care of the weatherstripping with silicone lube, Cad Tire one.

Could be the door actuator on the way out? or could we open it and grease it up too?

We already did all the other doors and they are not as bad.

Also we tried several times to fix a leak from the rear wrap around glass, and today I noticed a puddle on the rear floor of the car, quite a bit to freeze the mat in place. I read up on this for other models too, trunk leak we used to have... did the factory not do a good job on sealing?

Thanks!

Edited by npfd
more trouble

I've lubed the door lock actuator rods and that usually fixes it. Have had a couple of actuators that were bad.

I have a 95 sedan and it leaks at the top of the rear glass. My fix is to use flowable sealer when the weather gets warmer.

Hey there,

We lubed the rods too and no dice.. still getting the problem... there is sometimes a buzzing noise when unlocking or locking the doors... rarely though.

Flowable sealer? available from hardware stores?

Thanks a lot

Windshield/glass sealer,clear sealer, more of a liquid than a gel. Parts store carries it.

Dunno about a hardware store.

Sounds like you need to replace the actuators.

For the sealer I'll look into it in Spring... I don't think the actuators are cheap, especially here in Canada. I looked on Gmpartsdirect... I think its ~$51... I think the car is only gonna last a year or two more....

We seem to have a bigger problem now, turns out that there's lots of water in on the floor pans and accumulates underneath all four mats in the car. There are puddles in the back seat more on the rear driver side...

I looked in the forum and found out some stuff about the windshield seal, but there seems to be more water accumulation only when driving the car in the rain.. snow/puddles.... otherwise water doesn't seem to accumulate. Is there common places on these cars for water to come in? Any specific place to look at?

We're gonna take everything out when the weather gets warm...

Thanks 95 Vert, btw your car looks nice! 3.1 supercharged? :D

we're in the process of checking things out.

I know there is two leaks, one from each side of the rear windshield, driver side pretty bad... water just drips in, with light rain..

I think there may be a leak up front, as I see a water trail, on the firewall, just behind the parking brake... We also noticed last year that the housing for the brake cable inside the car is rusted out... perhaps water been leaking in here for a while? Is it common for these to leak from the windshield cowl? How would we seal along the front windshield, e.g. removing seals?

Thanks a bunch!

3800 supercharged.

Tough one on the front leaks. Theres alot of things that may cause it. Do you have a sunroof?

Drains can get clogged and/or leak.

A lot of times I'll find that the windshield is leaking from th top or side and running down the

"A" pillar to the floor behind the E brake.

3800 SC, oh must feel nice.. how is it flooring it with it? You shined, or chromed the mags too?

Sometimes I find the 3.1 a lil slower, especially with 5 dudes in the car haha.

No sunroof... I looked again today, I can't find anything, maybe just water from where the ecable goes out the floor pan, water was puddled in there.

Will check the top of the windshield sometime soon!

Thanks.

Could simply be the ebrake cable like you said.

Had the wheels chromed. I ran a 14.1 at the track last year. I've done alot of mods to the engine since then

and hope to run low 13's this summer.

Ya, so my dad and me sealed it outside by removing the pillar trim, weatherstrip piece on top of the window, and used windshield glue and caulked both inside and outside, and still there are three water leaks from the rear window. It seeps through the glue we put inside. I'm thinking its going along the weatherstip peice (that's dried up), accumlating then dripping, as it took a around two buckets of water to really see where its coming from. pos fed up of this sometimes..... Also when we removed the top piece, I noticed rust behind one of the plastic clip holders. Could there bea weak point? But all the water leaks are coming through the seals it seems.

Should we remove that top piece, and the holders, and just caulk it and be done with it? I mean really fill it up.....

Your wheels look nice! 14.1 pretty impressive, did you swap out the tranny too? Was it a really big job swapping motors... or just a drop in, and some electronic changes?

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the link.

So we still have some leaks on the car i think its from the trunk part... goes from there into the cabin... the tailights do seem fine, where it bolts in. but there are other bolts, more left or right, that do seem wet.... gonna check it out tomorrow with the hose...