Oil cooler Problems...

espee1989

So, another long, drawn out story from me.

My Impala 9C1 has a leak from the oil lines that are supposed to go the oil cooler. The leak was getting bad, and I was driving to school one day and the line ruptured and almost drained the whole engine of oil. My dad has a friend who is mechanically inclined because we are very reluctant to take the car to incompetent and expensive mechanics (read:my first thread) and he cut the line down and ran it into a circle back into itself as a temporary fix. The next day, we go some hi pressure heater hose and clamped it onto the lines. I did some further research and found those lines aren't adequate for oil flow, and true to the research, the lines have thinned out and another leak has developed. I bought some oil flow line today and I'm thinking of having it put back on, but I am looking at the cars coolers on the front, but I don't see which cooler the oil lines would connect to (I'll put some pics up in the morning to show you how its setup if you all don't understand, but theres a shiny silver block on the passenger side that has lines going out of it, and then a black block that is on the driver side). I see the options being to loop the line back into itself as it seems to be now (I don't think this will work, correct me if I'm wrong), find the cooler if its there and run the lines into that, or to remove the oil cooler adapter from above the oil filter if the cooler actually isn't there. If the latter of the three is the case (I'm more inclined to do this), how hard would that be?

What year is the Impala you have?

EDIT: See this page(if the link works). This is for a 2003 - http://www.compnine.com/index.php?u=1&year=2003&artnbr=1W01-029&artsfx=NULL&supplgroup=NULL&catcode=19W&modelcode=W&makecode=C&modelseries=WA&uid=1&modelid=1147577284&capuid=1&majorgroup=01&grouptype=B

If your car is a different year(the routing should generally be the same unless you have a 3rd Gen w-body/9C1), just go back to the main page @ http://www.compnine.com and follow the "diagrams" link. Input your car info and find the image labeled "cooling system grille-oil system."[url=http://www.compnine.com/index.php?s=1&catcode=19W&year=2003&modelcode=W&modelid=1147577284&makecode=C][/url]

Edited by mfewtrail

I've got a 2004. Figured it out yesterday. There was no cooler. Wish I had this yesterday though. Thanks for diagram though!

I have a new problem though...

My dad and his friend that worked on the car say it doesn't need that oil filter o ring, I say it does. Does it need it?

Edited by espee1989