best way to clean parts

Psych0matt

So I grabbed some brake calipers from a 2gen for my suspension overhaul yesterday, and cut my finger open pretty badly, so now the car next to the one I was pulling these off of looks like a homicide happened next to it :lol:

Point being, they're decently rusty on the outside and I want to clean them up pretty good, and probably paint them before install. I have a wire cup brush and that seems to do ok, but time consuming and tedious. Just wondering if theres a better way, and if there's anything that would help clean them and/or get them ready for paint

Try vinegar and baking soda. It makes a paste and you just spread it on (leave it sit overnight) and scrub it off with your wire brush.

I have done that several times before and it always turns out pretty good.

Naval jelly should work in removing the rust as well, also good at getting rid of unwanted paint remains. Just brush it on, let it sit, rinse it off.

sandblast and powdercoat if you want a professional looking end product

THIS. Anything else would just be too much work and a waste of time.

Or you could try an electrostat? bath were you electrify the solution the part goes in and it will take the rust off overnight. GnatGoSplat had a post with pics about it before.