67eleanorgt500

I have a 1994 Cutlass Supreme Convertible. One day I reached for the knob to open my glove box. Well the knob just sheared snapped right off. So the only way to open my glove box is to insert a flathead screwdriver push back and release the the latch. I'm having a hard time fixing the knob too. My question, has this happened to anybody else? Is there a way to repair the knob so I can twist to open the box back up? I've included some photos of the glove box latch and knob.

1992792f.jpg

9f43bc78.jpg

a316f8e2.jpg

Edited by 67eleanorgt500

This same thing happened to me. Did just the plastic cap fall off? Or did the whole thing come out of its socket?

From the way I read that it sounds like the hole mechanism came out. I would just get one from the junkyard (that isn't broken) and snap it back in. That's what I ended up doing.

This same thing happened to me. Did just the plastic cap fall off? Or did the whole thing come out of its socket?

From the way I read that it sounds like the hole mechanism came out. I would just get one from the junkyard (that isn't broken) and snap it back in. That's what I ended up doing.

No, the whole knob snapped and fell out of the hole. I did go to a junk yard and found a replacement but, the knob is blue. Yeah I suppose I could spray paint it black. The thing is I can't figure out how to remove the latch with the knob mechanism without snapping the knob. :dunno: I guess I could take a hacksaw cut part of the glove box and bring the latch home and figure out how to dissemble it.

You can change just the plastic part they are made to come off and snap back on. I had to switch mine. There are two 8 or 10 mm bolts that hold the latch on from inside the glove box. Remove those and latch mechanism comes off. You will be able to see how the two piece connect. You just push it in the mechanism and turn it until it locks in.

I have a non-broken one with the correct color knob. You install this, then put the knob on the end.

downsized_0227011259.jpg

0227011259a.jpg

Ok I understand what you were talking about now. The knob snaps off then I'm able to lift the whole latch up and out of the hole right?

I think I'll make a trip back to the scrap yard sometime this week and try to remove the latch from the junked cutlass. Thanks for your help. Does the plastic knob pop off easily?

I think I'll make a trip back to the scrap yard sometime this week and try to remove the latch from the junked cutlass. Thanks for your help. Does the plastic knob pop off easily?

Yes the knob comes off very easily. I just took off the two bolts (7mm) and took my flathead screwdriver and popped it off.

Ok I understand what you were talking about now. The knob snaps off then I'm able to lift the whole latch up and out of the hole right?

Yup comes out really easy. After the knob comes off you are able to just lift it up and it comes right out the hole. I think it took me like 1 minute to get it out.

Edited by 94 olds vert