threepointone

what type of oil do your w's like mine seems to like valvoline the most in the past i usually did 5w30 in colder mounths and 10w30 in warmer mounths usually i just get what oil change special thats on a deal at whatever local parts store but i really like the valvoline oils second pick would be castrol ive been using a syn blend not to sure if i what to switch to full yet im not cheap so i dont mind spending a few more dollars but i think if i change to full syn im going with ams oil

Since 75,000 I've only ever used the Valvoline Max Life Synthetic oil with a PureOne filter on all of my cars. Anything under 75k I use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic.

Unless it's my old V8's, then I use conventional oil with Zinc additives.

I've used everything from cheapo convention 5w30 to what is currently in there (4 quarts Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 10w30 and a quart of Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer). Haven't noticed a large difference from one to the other.

using NAPA syn right now (Valvoline) as I'm switching over and I like to do a couple normal oil changes to clean the engine out. Once the synthetic is "established", I will use AmsOil as always. IDK if all that's necessary, but that's what I do.

:shrug: I just use Castrol GTX 10W30 in the Lumina, and whatever oil the dealership puts into the Monte Carlo. I tried using 5W30 in the Lumina like the cap says, but the piston slap was awful when cold, so I've stuck with the 10w30...

I've used everything from cheapo convention 5w30 to what is currently in there (4 quarts Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 10w30 and a quart of Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer). Haven't noticed a large difference from one to the other.

ford oil in a gm shame on you :biggrin: lol

once it starts getting cold(50*F or colder high temps), supertech 5W-30, maybe blended with a bit of 5W-20 if i feel it's necessary.

once it starts getting warm, i shift to supertech 10W-30 with a quart or so of 10W-40 blended in...

GP seems to like it, only odd noises it makes are from VERY cold start and when at a VERY hot idle, so it seems to work for me. also seems to burn less than a quart between oil changes too, so that's a plus.

the MC always got Pennzoil 5W-30 or 10W-30.

I've been switching around, trying to find what my cars like best.

I know someone who bought a brand new 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis, bought the absolute cheapest oil he could find (10w30 in the winter, 10w40 in the summer) but changed it like clockwork every 3500 miles. When he traded that car it had 270,000 miles and I shit you not, it ran like it just rolled off the floor. I don't think it's so much the oil, as how often it's changed.

I always use Mobil 1 clean 5000 and change it at 3000, and I am very OCD about doing the oil at or before the 3000 mark, the 97 has 900 miles till the next oil change but I am thinking about doing it next week since its the first oil change on the new engine (excluding the oil I put in when I did the swap)

I either use whatever synthetic change special they have at Advance or the Wal-mart synthetic and a Purolator filter (the yellow textured one.)

You guys with lifter noise at cold starts that use 10-30, does it lessen or go away vs. 5-30? I thought about switching this past change but my friend scared me out of it saying I could risk oil starvation.

here is a quick and dirty explanation of the first number in an oil rating: it has nothing to do with a viscosity rating, instead it's a value that stands for how easily it will allow an engine to crank at low temps.

while it is ESSENTIALLY a viscosity rating, it's not.

a 5W oil will flow more at low temps when compared to a similar 10W oil.

FWIW: search demonoid for my screen name, you'll find a torrent that is VERY informative on this very subject.

You guys with lifter noise at cold starts that use 10-30, does it lessen or go away vs. 5-30? I thought about switching this past change but my friend scared me out of it saying I could risk oil starvation.

I just switched mine to 5w30 from 10w30 and it seemed to quiet down a little, was still there though. I really hate it cause the car sounds like crap, once it warms up though on either oil it doesn't make any noise.

And are you guys that run synthetic changing at 3000 too? I thought that stuff was good to at least 5k or so (some even state 10-20k), you just need to change the filter and top it off as those still only last 3k.

I am very bad about changing my oil, and my old Tracker probably went almost 20k on the same conventional oil. It was in there so long the filter was rusting on the outside. I beat the hell out of that thing too and the motor never made any noise. One of my neighbors told me once that he doesn't even bother changing oil in his company's work trucks until they got like 15-20k on em.. if he even remembers then, and still gets high mileage outta em. Granted this is a very bad practice to follow, but figured I should mention it to give ya a good cringe.. Hell, now that I think of it, my very first car (a 1982 Dodge Rampage) spent most of it's lifetime running on barely 1qt of oil. I was trying to kill it but the 4 cyl in it just wouldn't die.

I have ran synthetic before and still changed it at 3k

Yea, I was just askin cause it sounds like the oil itself is good for a lot longer (hell AMSOIL claims to be good to around 25k.) as long as it's clean.. just the filters don't last. They recommend changing the filter at regular intervals and just topping off the oil.