Remote start install

AL

I am putting my Viper 5301 remote start set up in the 97 GP... However the security system is not the same as the 03, So I need to know what wires to splice into for the security bypass... On the 03 it was pink and blue I remember but I do not know what the colors are for the 97, I couldnt seem to find a diagram on all data with the information I needed, also was on http://www.the12volt.com and there was no security system wiring posted... Any help is greatly appreciated

Look for the small 2-wire (some models 3 wires) harness coming down from the lock cylinder. The wires will be enclosed in a gray or orange (IIRC) sheath. The wires will be very small (something like 20AWG or smaller) size. Your 97 will have the PASSLOCK theft deterrant (Hall-Effect sensor in the lock cylinder). And I dont' know if you know or not, but you'll need to strip the insulation off one of the wires, and measure the voltage with the key on to find out what voltage reading you need to copy to bypass it. Hope this helps

Edited by carkhz316

I stopped working for 15 minutes and looked up some stuff.

You will want to hook up the factory alarm dis-arm wire. Otherwise, unless you have a chip in the key, you probably won't have to hook up a bypass module.

If you have a chip in the key, follow the guide I wrote that is stickied in the car audio section, or else a quick internet search will pretty much tell you the same thing (on how to bypass the system).

However, every search that I look at on the internet says that 1997-1999 doesn't really require a bypass module, as long as there is no chip in the key. The key is not the newer transponder type either.

97-99 Grand Prixs do not have security keys. Just an alarm so you will need to hook up the disarm wire from the Viper to the Orange/Black wire Pin C5 at C2 connector at BCM. The BCM is right under the drivers dash, you can find the lock wires there to.

Yah I actually grabbed that wire in the drivers footwell behind the hood release and I grabbed the locks from there as well... Ill post an update when I get out there and drill the ground and do a test on everything

Alex, my phone died while talking to you, and my charger is 3 hours away in Toledo.

The locks for both the 97 and 03 are negative triggered. If the lock/unlock are not working, then you probably don't have the right wires hooked up. Because the viper was already set for negative triggered locks, there should be no reason why you would have physically moved the jumper (or switch, forget it's been tooooo long since I've been an installer) to positive triggered locks.

IIRC, to program the tach, you start the car, and within 5 seconds, hold down the program button. Keep holding it down until the led flashes. Then the tach is programmed.

Yep... Fuck my eyes... I had hacked into the constant 12v red wire when I should have hacked into the ign 1 wire which is pink... I couldn't tell them apart... Everything is working as it should and a very extra thanks to Chris davidson for putting up with my multiple texts and calls... You really don't know how much I appreciate your help and also thanks to everyone who posted... I am glad I don't have to deal with the security system on this car

No problem man. I'm not as quick with doing these as I once was several years back though. Since I've been out of it so long now, I wouldn't even touch doing anything newer(than say 2005-2007 depending on manufacturer). Too much has changed since I left.