93 Turn Signal Replacement

AliasCT

Hi all,

I have the common "turn signal is a piece of sh*t" problem, and it's starting to go on me. It sticks when I turn on the left side, and it I have to hold it for it signal on the right side. SO, I'm wanting the fix that (as it's getting pretty annoying). I have seen the 1994-up FAQ on this site for replacement, but...

I have a 1993 GP. What's so different between the 1994 and the 1993? Special tools? No FAQ write-up because it's so easy to change?

I'm also having a hell of a time figuring out what switch I need to buy. Every listing either says "with / without cruise control" or "with / without steering wheel audio controls", but I don't have the steering wheel controls and I do have the cruise control. Which do I need? What did everyone else here do?

I also found this write up for "fixing" the turn signal switch. Anyone familiar with this approach?

http://www.fixya.com/cars/t768310-automobile_electrical_problem

Thanks guys!

@white4d96 It cancels great, honstly. Even when I flip on the right turn signal and it doesn't signal! :roll:

@mra32 TSS? Turn signal stalk? Yeah, some of the lettering is all rubbed off... Worth buying new, or should I find a JY part / grab some white paint?

I was thinking turn signal switch. They will give you the white smoke from the column, gritty feeling when moving the stalk, and make you hold the turn signal in the right position to make the signal work properly when bad. Easy enough once you have the steering wheel off. You can pull the two halves of the switch apart (requires torx bits), clean the contacts, bend the tangs down and if you feel froggy, put some dielectric on them. I didnt though since my thought was that it is a contact and i didnt want anything non conductive to get between the contacts.

I looked at how to get the connector/wiring for the turn signal switch out, and then how to get the new one back in and quickly decided to try my hand at refurbishing the old one. 10k miles later its good.

Oh, I see what you mean... I was confused because I was already talking about replacing / fixing the turn signal switch :P

Seriously though, how did you get to the switch? I'm not too concerned with fixing the switch that's in there, I think I'm capable of that. Do I just need a steering wheel puller and pull the sucker off? I've just always thought it was odd that there's a FAQ for replacing a 1994+ switch but not a 1993 and below.

I would recommend a steering wheel puller. I've heard some tall tales about brute forcing the wheel off, but a puller is incredibly easy and a few minutes of turning screws. I only have a horn in my steering wheel so this was pretty easy and intuitive to remove. If you have SWRC or an airbag, things might be a bit more complicated, but the switch should be right in front of you when you remove the steering wheel. I also think i had to remove some plastic pieces on the column and the stalk when i did it in my Lumina.

No air bag, no steering wheel controls. I'm just waiting for a chance to rent a puller and a time when I actually have my car (my girlfriend uses it...). I'll let you guys know how it goes.