column shift noise (annoying)

dodgethis

Kinda stupid to ask, but for the monte's and lumina's year '95 and up. What can be put into the column shift to stop the annoying noise made when shifting out of park? i figured it was doing this only in cold weather, but now its doing in during the warmer climate. I figure throw some grease up in the column, but where would i start to do this? I was going to guess and tap out the actually shifter and put grease from that side, but wasn't sure if i could pull the metal column around the neck behind the steering wheel to add grease.

What kind of a sound are we talking about? I don't think my column shift makes any sounds when shifting into gear. I don't have a Monte Carlo or a Lumina, but I'm guessing the column shift mechanism is the same.

its like a squeak noise, more like plastic rubbing on plastic. It goes away normally when the car is warm inside (makes sense because has expanded and not grinding when changing gears). It most noticeable when everything is cold and stiff.

The video from youtube explains what im talking about. When the guy shifts to drive or in park, I am getting the very same noise. I thought you could lube up something around the steering column to fix that.

The '98 Lumina i used as a winter beater last year did the same thing. All i did was spray a little white lithium spray greese in the colum where the brush covers the shifter openning and never had an issue after that.