opinion on 95 Z34

defflepp1

ok im not sure if this is where this goes but ill put it here anyway lol. anyway, tonight i went to look at this beautiful 95 Z34. Forest Green, black leather, full power, BOSS stereo(are they good?) and the best part 55,000 miles. no thats not a typo it has 55,000 original miles. the dealer wants $4295 does that seem reasonable? drives beautifully, steering feels great same with the brakes, has amazing get up and go. but with those miles what kind of repairs can i expect to encounter soon(IE: timing belt, brakes, alternator) any input would be greatly appreciated,

well this sucks, i really liked that car but you guys sure are talking me out of it. i know your just giving me honest advice but i thought this was a really good deal. i know the timing belt is an issue that would be creeping up, but how hard are they to replace or how much would a respectable shop charge to do it?

How's the rust situation.

My 5th gen MC warped rotors like that was its job.

^Ditto. Isn't that the truth.:lol:

But ya, don't pay much over 2 for it. It IS 16 years old. It's getting up there.

Is the price THAT far out? Maybe a bit on the high side but if the car is indeed mint and 55,000 miles is not much at all. Colour, options, and rust would weigh heavily for me. If it is a cherry with good options Its worth more then your average beat down MC. My biggest concern is that the timing belt is nearly due, maybe use that to negotiate the price down lower. I'd also be concerned of the age of the tires from all the sitting the car has done.

For reference: its hard for me to find a non clapped out J body on my local CL for $2000

Edited by White93z34

from what i can see there is little to no rust on it. options like i said are full power(windows,lock,seats,mirrors) leather, keyless entry, BOSS stereo. and according to KBB its under value and NADA says its just $600 buck over. so im thinking to offer $2700 cash if that don't get him then ill throw in my old car on trade in. and again how hard is it to change a timing belt? cause i really like that car and right now its between that or a 97 Mark VIII with 161,000 miles.

do some searching around. I've posted a bit about it in the past... but my first time it took me the better part of an entire weekend to do due to the learning curve. I can do em no problem now but still takes the better part of a day to do it right. Parts cost around 2-300, don't cheap out and not do the tensioner actuator and tensioner pulley, those can come back to haunt you. on a 95 you should just need to find a set of cam hold down tools, you should not need the cog puller that the early engines (91-93) use. Expect a shop (if you can even find one willing) to charge you $texas for the job.

I'd offer $2500, and go up to $2750 if necessary-give yourself some negotiating room.

I paid $2500 for my '95 LQ1 Cutlass convertible a year and a half ago...same powertrain, higher mileage on mine, but you know convertibles sell for a premium...the car lot originally was asking $4995 for my car.

As far as the timing belt goes, how experienced are you in auto repair? If you've dug deep into a number of engines over the years, it's challenging, but definitely doable...especially if you don't do like me, and have to put it back together because it broke (failed tensioner pulley bearing).

If your experience is limited to belts, hoses, and tune-up, you're going to need help...it is NOT a job for an inexperienced mechanic. Lots of "gotchas"--nothing too severe, but you have to pay very close attention in a few areas, or you'll be redoing the work.

Overall, the DOHC cars are a blast to drive, but if they will NOT run reliably for long without proper maintenance; they seem more sensitive to benign neglect than most.

Good luck!

Edited by Galaxie500XL

Is it a Boss stereo or Bose? Both are garbage. I wouldnt pay anything over $2000 for it, maybe $2500 if they have receipts showing the timing belt was recently done. Then again i would never buy anything from a dealership period.