FML lost my key!

white4d96

Somewhere in the 2 feet of snow we got, I lost my ignition key. Don't have a spare. I am at the end of the driveway and everyone else is parked in. What do I do!?

EDIT 1996 GP sedan, 3100, VATS is bypassed.

You don't have a spare? :facepalm:

Glad to see you got it going though. Good luck with your ignition cylinder.

I had a spare when I was in high school but I broke it. That was two years ago, and I've made spare keys for all my parent's cars since, but every time I asked to get one made, I got the run around.

Most places cant cut a vats key unless you grind the vats chip off, it wont fit in the machine. For future reference you didnt need to tear the column apart, you can get to the igniton switch wires by taking the lower plastic panel off.

Most places cant cut a vats key unless you grind the vats chip off, it wont fit in the machine. For future reference you didnt need to tear the column apart, you can get to the igniton switch wires by taking the lower plastic panel off.

Last time I had VATS keys made at the dealership, nothing was cut or grinded. They took the key, made a copy, and gave me the original one back plus the new one that I paid for.

I went to the dealer a year ago to get a key made from the VIN, (title) they didnt have the blank key on hand. but told me were to get a blank i bought the blank for a hardware store in town (22$) and the GM dealer cut it for free since they did not have it and i did not have a key so the hardware store could not cut it. And it was 3$ to have a door key made. pretty cheap, and NICE to have around!

Sorry but a spare is a must. I have locked my keys in the trunk of My Ws before, thanks to the fact that not all of them came factory with a trunk popper. they did when I got done with them though.

I have 2 complete sets for all 4 of my vehicles. you never know, anything can happen. Especially when you have a key with a chip in it.

I have spare door keys, oh yeah. I had a spare ignition key but didn't have one for two years.

Thankfully my new ign cyl came with two keys, I tried having a copy made at the hardware store to no avail. Anyone that has VATS bypassed is there a non-VATS blank we can use?

i have 4 spares for the ga.

lost one then found it

i needed a key

then i lost mine then found it

so now we have 5 total ignition keys lolol

Edited by jake91

If I can find a regular blank to use for the ignition key I'm having 3 made. $2 a key is just an awesome price. I'll have a couple more doors made too, I still have my two OE ones (along with my new spare) but they're bent to shit and one has a stress crack starting :willynilly::willynilly::willynilly:

Random question: My steering column plastic trim bit got kinda muffed up by the ign switch during the get-this-damn-car-moved episode. I tried removing it when I had the switches out but it kept getting hung up on the tilt lever. Anyone know how to remove that?

My fiance had 7 spare keys for her old alero. One at work, one at her parents, one at each of her 2 cousins, I had one, my parents had one and there was one in the house. She was notorious for locking her keys in the car.

Good job on getting it moved. Hopefully you don't find the keys on the counter this week under a piece of mail or something...

I lost my (VATS) ignition key for my old 92 LeSabre ended up having to get a ride to GM dealer and have them cut one from the VIN, don't remember how much that cost, but other than the price, I do remember the process being fairly painless, had a new key in like 10-15min.

From then on I have always maintained at minimum 2 sets of keys for all my vehicles, if I ever lost one, fist thing I would do would be to go and copy the remaining key. Ever since I have been doing this I have never lost keys, go figure, lol.