Stock w-body seats: lower back support

xtremerevolution

With the Bonneville for sale, we're looking for a white cutty coupe. My wife will be driving it, and her back needs some lower back support. The general plan would be to get one with leather AQ9's or get them from a junkyard. However, there are also a set of recaros for sale on this board. The question I have is, which seats have the best lower back support? The recaros look pretty flat, but I only sat in a set once and I don't remember exactly what they felt like. Do any stock w-body power seats have adjustable lumbar?

my gxp seats have power lumbar and heat..........not sure how they would fit in a 1G though...

I'm also kind of looking for something affordable, lol. I highly doubt I'll be picking up a set of GP GXP seats for cheap anywhere. I can get the recaros for $150, and whatever else is in a junkyard for AQ9's.

Recaros are nice. My GF likes them. I could easily sit in them and drive for hours (and have). I could do this with my base bench seats too I did a couple trips that were 9 hours straight through, but I've come across seats from other manufacturers that totally kill me after 45 minutes.

I will say with the recaros, it depends on alot of things. Due to the high pivot on those seats, it depends on the angle of the back, since the bottom will be coming toward you when you angle the top back. It also depends on the height of the person sitting in the seat due to the s-shaped curve of the back. I have noticed different amounts of back support in different areas depending on if i am sitting a different way. I have a sneaking suspicion that the panel cushion is removable from the rest of the seat on the recaros and I'll try to check if it is when I get in my car today. If it is removable, then you might be able to easily give yourself some more lower back support by sticking some foam behind it.

Second Gen seats have the power lumbar also... I am positive that I have a second Gen seat without seat skins on them that you could have... Getting it into the car might be a bit of an issue but I don't see why we couldn't make something work

Second Gen seats have the power lumbar also... I am positive that I have a second Gen seat without seat skins on them that you could have... Getting it into the car might be a bit of an issue but I don't see why we couldn't make something work

2g seats are horrible.....lumbar or not

my gxp seats have power lumbar and heat..........not sure how they would fit in a 1G though...

They wouldn't. Period. Too tall.

I'm also kind of looking for something affordable, lol. I highly doubt I'll be picking up a set of GP GXP seats for cheap anywhere. I can get the recaros for $150, and whatever else is in a junkyard for AQ9's.

Not just the GXPs had them.... GT and up could have them

Swap the foam and there fine... I have torn apart 6 or so gp seats and it not hard to make a seat into whatever you need... It took me 40 minutes to make a passenger heated seat and I doubt it would take me very long to make a power first Gen seat with lumbar support

There is a pic ^

Those are out of a 92 / 93 International

Sorry, I forgot work blocks some image sites.

Those look nice, but don't appear to have a whole lot of lower back support. Are they actually better than they look?

Yes you could totally adjust the back support in recaros by changing the geometry behind the back cushion VERY EASILY. Sitting in my car driving home i was able to stick my hand all the way behind the foam. and feel the steel backing plate gives me ideas.

Recaros are nice. My GF likes them. I could easily sit in them and drive for hours (and have). I could do this with my base bench seats too I did a couple trips that were 9 hours straight through, but I've come across seats from other manufacturers that totally kill me after 45 minutes.

I will say with the recaros, it depends on alot of things. Due to the high pivot on those seats, it depends on the angle of the back, since the bottom will be coming toward you when you angle the top back. It also depends on the height of the person sitting in the seat due to the s-shaped curve of the back. I have noticed different amounts of back support in different areas depending on if i am sitting a different way. I have a sneaking suspicion that the panel cushion is removable from the rest of the seat on the recaros and I'll try to check if it is when I get in my car today. If it is removable, then you might be able to easily give yourself some more lower back support by sticking some foam behind it.

I like the Recaro's in my buddy's 9C3, but damn they were like a park bench after the 5 hour drive to Detroit. We both had to put a pillow behind our lower backs....although we both have not-so-perfect backs to begin with. FFuuuuuuuuuu

I like the Recaro's in my buddy's 9C3, but damn they were like a park bench after the 5 hour drive to Detroit. We both had to put a pillow behind our lower backs....although we both have not-so-perfect backs to begin with. FFuuuuuuuuuu

This is exactly what I'm afraid of. In design they appear to be very similar to the "racing" seats I have in the Regal. Straight back, good support, but no lumbar otherwise and they're not..."plush."

I'm thinking she might favor the AQ9's a lot more than the recaros.

Too bad 3rd Gen GP seats won't work without some big modification, those look super comfortable and supportive(comparatively) But AQ9's sound like the best bet. I've never sat in Cutlass ones, but both pre-94 and 94-96's are nice

Too bad 3rd Gen GP seats won't work without some big modification, those look super comfortable and supportive(comparatively) But AQ9's sound like the best bet. I've never sat in Cutlass ones, but both pre-94 and 94-96's are nice

Third gen GP seats and AQ9s are on par with eachother.... both equally AWESOME!!!!! I favor the 3rd gen gp ones though cause the AQ9s hurt my ass after a while and these don't as much.