65k mile report: Fail.

alec_b

Well I took my mom's '07 Impala to work today to give it an inspection and do a 60k service on it. She'd been complaining about the thing not warming up when she used the remote start.

I flushed the heater core and cooling system (which is a PAIN to bleed without bleeders) and that took care of the heat. I did a trans. service while I was in there too, might as well fluid was getting a little dark.

Post inspection report:

1. Transmission cooler line is leaking. Just one right now but I'm going to do both.

2. Oil pan is leaking, both from the front and the back. Possible crank seal up front.

3. Both outer tie rods have play

4. Rack and Pinion is leaking, AGAIN. This is the 3rd rack that's been put in.

5. RF Wheel bearing has play

6. Muffler is already almost totally rotted out on top. Sounds pretty good.

This seems a little excessive for only having 65k miles and being 100% maintained. Luckily we have the 100k certified warranty on the powertrain, that covers me for the oil leaks and the wheel bearing, and the rack damn well better be covered because this will me rack number 4 going in, all previously done at the dealer under warranty. I have a 9:30 appointment Thursday to have those things looked at, the rest I guess I'll just have to take care of on my own.

I'm going to try and get them to eat the outer tie rods too. I don't remember seeing anywhere that they replaced them with the rack, and taking loosening/tightening them that many times while replacing the rack had to have been hard on them. They should have been replaced each time. That's my thought anyways.

Yeah unfortunately Im seeing this more and more from the newer GM cars I see in my shop everyday. Ive seen cobalts with leaking front struts and control arm bushings pulling out at 15k miles. Impalas have a horrible problem with lower ball joints which consist of replacing the whole lower arm. Most common thing I see is complaints of clunk noises in the front with loose and/or broken stab links. But its not just GM as I am constantly replacing outter tie rods on Chryslers with very low miles.

I too see a ton of cobalts at work with LCA bushing failure and strut failure. The last one had 26k on it.

Kind of sad to see that's where the quality is going... hopefully it gets better. My dad's acura has 45k on it and has not a single issue, and that's AFTER being totalled and rebuilt.