Coolant flush question

EMT_156

I don't want to start a thread war about the what if's on Dexcool on eating gaskets. This has been asked alot, and does have a very good history trail regarding it. Let me just say i had mine flushed out, and had all the dexcool completely flushed out of the system, and replaced it with the green stuff. If anything i believe green stuff will be alot cheaper.

Nothing wrong with the current version of Dex-Cool; and there are other brand names of extended-life coolant which are also perfectly acceptable products.

Dex-Cool had some problems initially.

"Can" you swap it out? Sure.

"Should" you swap it for normal green? Probably not.

The reason I ask is that I have no experience with it. I'm only going on what I've heard form other people. I think the coolant is original to the car. The other reason I ask is that I can get Fleetguard extended life antifreeze from work for cost.

I can get Fleetguard extended life antifreeze from work for cost.

there are other brand names of extended-life coolant which are also perfectly acceptable products.

Nothing wrong with Fleetguard. Used to use their products when I worked for the bus company.

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm gonna put the Dex-cool back in. Now the question what brand would be recommended or does it not matter.

Edited by EMT_156

• 1 month later...

I didn't think Dexcool was so much the problem as the gaskets themselves. I mean, I'm no expert...but from what I understand the Dexcool really didn't have a problem, it was just the gaskets cracking. I had my gasket crack with the "green stuff" in it... When I drained and refilled this winter I just put the green back in. No sense switching back. When I get my HHR out for the summer I'm going to drain it and refill, but I'm putting Dexcool back in.