How interchangeable are front ends?

goober

Daughter crunched the new-to-us 92 Grand Prix SE 2 door. She has had it 27 days....... I think it has the B4U body package, the Headlights are almost hidden.

Damage is limited to the hood and front end, no radiator damage, fenders are untouched and no body twisting. It all came unbolted in a couple hours after I quit trying to save the hood and jammed hood catch so I figure it should all go back in a few hours as well if I can find a front end.

When I am touring the Junkyard how creative can i get? 91?, 93? non B4U front with the obvious headlights? Do I have to stick to Pontiac? Does any GM 91-93 w body 2 door front end bolt up?

Your help gratefully received as I am making her pay for the parts (it was her fault) but I dont want to empty her bank account.

Gents, thanks. I can lay my hands on a dead '96 GP SE two door for a few hundred bucks locally. Engine is blown but body looks awesome and its the right color. Do you think I can make a Frankenstein's Monster GP with the front off the 96 on our 92 without resorting to sawing or welding? I guess if nothing else I can scavenge the sensors, computers and other expensive small bits for future use.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to you all IT LIVES!!!! Frankencar LIVES!.

'96 Front bumper and hood on the '92. Fits pretty well really subject to my inability to push in three places whilst bolting up two . Have not yet moved over the rest of the body package so there is some style mismatch at the front bumper/wheel arch, but it is solid, safe and legal. White paint is different when you get up close but its a junker anyway.

Now parting out the remains of a white '96 3100 Grand Prix SE, engine is seized and I was told the tranny is trashed but body and interior are OK, less the hood and bumper. I cant use most of the engine bits as ours is the 3.1 so I will have computers, throttle body etc off the car to recoup some of the repair costs.

Once again, thanks for your help, saved us a good bit of money.

Thanks to you all IT LIVES!!!! Frankencar LIVES!.

'96 Front bumper and hood on the '92. Fits pretty well really subject to my inability to push in three places whilst bolting up two . Have not yet moved over the rest of the body package so there is some style mismatch at the front bumper/wheel arch, but it is solid, safe and legal. White paint is different when you get up close but its a junker anyway.

Now parting out the remains of a white '96 3100 Grand Prix SE, engine is seized and I was told the tranny is trashed but body and interior are OK, less the hood and bumper. I cant use most of the engine bits as ours is the 3.1 so I will have computers, throttle body etc off the car to recoup some of the repair costs.

Once again, thanks for your help, saved us a good bit of money.

Well . . . you know what they say.

If the front end fits . . . you must aquit.

Yup, in laymens terms, your daughter is now 100% off the hook on this one.

Damn, I was just going to inquire if a BYU nose will fit a sedan.

Wasn't there a poster here who put a B4U nose on her sedan? I remember there was an issue with it blending into the side skirts, as the coupe air dam sat much lower than the rest of the car.