2nd Gen CAI F-Duct Alternative

pwmin

I ordered the Thrasher CAI, but they're not making them right now :roll: so I'm getting the MSP one instead...hope it's a wise decision. Anway, since I have a 98 I need the 99+ f-duct, but I think that's pretty ghetto, so I'm looking for an alternative.

Are any of these what I need and anyone have an opinion on which is the better option?

1) http://www.lmperformance.com/744/1.html (SLP Smooth Bellows #23065)

2) Easy Performance(.com) Reflective Silicone Intake Duct, 3800 Series II (can't find a picture)

3) http://www.easyperformance.com/CAI/Images/Gen_3_3800_Series_II_Duct_Upgrade_Kit.jpg ...seems kinda ghetto looking to me too, but maybe I can wrap it with something

edit: emailed them about #2 and they responded very quickly. However, I don't like the looks of it either some I'm hoping that's the right SLP bellow I need except for the hurrendous price.

Edited by pwmin

Take my advice and make one yourself....you can go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy PCV piping and some rubber couplers....and buy a K&N cone and make one for less than $60....or go to ZZPerformance.com....look in the intake section and you can buy some duct material from them it's like $10.50/ft. Then buy te 9'' K&N cone. You'll need a 3'' to 4'' coupler to hook one end to the TB and a 4'' to 4'' coupler to hook the filter to the other end of the tube. The couplers you can buy at Home Depot...Lowes...any hardware store. You instantly have a 4'' intake for right around $60 give or take. Just as effective and ALOT cheaper than buying a CAI. You'll also need a 99+ Coolant resouvoir and little overflow tube that goes from that to the radiator.

That's the setup I have on my GTP and the blower whine is LOUD

^ When you mention the loud blower whine, have you done any mods to the blower itself? I always see mention of cutting out, or plugging the silencer holes in the blower to make it louder? If I don't have to do that, then sweet

I'm also interested in some info, since i have a drop in k&n in my Monte now, i want to upgrade this summer. So with the customer set up you have, what do you do with the computer? Since its housed in the airbox originally?

Also, OP, everythign he said about making your own is right, i've priced the parts picked them out. Much better price, and you get to do it yourself, so you can be proud of it,and make any slight modifications you want.

I don't like the looks of PVC intakes or I would have gone that route. My 96 GP I made a FWI for it but didn't want to go through all that again with cutting and welding mandrel bends together.

Seeing as how I have a Regal, the 99+ coolant recovery bottle doesn't work for me because the ABS box is in the way. Some people actually modify it so it works and it just so happened that Ed Morad had one in stock that was already modified so I picked that up. I was going to rig up an f-body washer fluid reservoir (had everything done already except for putting all the pieces together for the cap) until I found out about that when I was ordering some other parts from them.

So with the customer set up you have, what do you do with the computer? Since its housed in the airbox originally?

There are several PCM trays out there...ZZP (and others) or the factory one from Blazers works well, but the nicest one, IMO, is the one that comes with the MSP intake. That brings me to the other thing. If I would have went w/ a FWI (thought about going with the JMB one for looks) I would have had to buy a PCM tray also and the MSP one is what I would have gotten and they aren't cheap. I didn't really feel like hacking up the fender brace on this car either.

p.s. sorry for my grammatical errors

^ When you mention the loud blower whine, have you done any mods to the blower itself? I always see mention of cutting out, or plugging the silencer holes in the blower to make it louder? If I don't have to do that, then sweet

Becides a 3.4'' pulley....no mods to the blower, and it screams....ask anyone that's seen/ridden in my GTP at the Dayton meet. I am having a local GP member port a Gen 3 M-90 case right now for the GTP....(wich is the same dude, "studderin" that has run an 11.4 on a Gen 3 years ago that he did all the porting work himself). As for blocking off the silencer ports.....useless. In fact, blocking the silencer ports doesnt actually make the blower "louder" it just makes it more audible at a lower RPM. (wich you can already hear the blower's low pitch whine in every day driving with a decent intake on it). Having a well ported supercharger actually gives it a noticible sound at idle. (somewhat of a faint version of a sintrifugal supercharger's sound at idle) Moral to the story.....Not worth blocking off silencer ports. Even on ported blowers. It doesnt give you any gain...in fact if you use some sort of filler or hardener to block them off and it somehow breaks free over time....it's going right into your engine, and...oopsy daisy.

Good deal. Thanks for letting me know. I have a WAI on at the moment after all the heated debates about WAI vs CAI, but I'm still gonna plumb something into the fenderwell soon. It's considerably louder with the intake out of the stock box, but thought it would be cooler if it was louder as I only really hear it at 3500-4000 or higher.

well, I had a WAI on there w/ a piece of mandrel bent tubing left over from another WAI setup, so I left that on and hooked up the supplied MSP tubing and installed the CAI and everything's fine. It's tight fitting everything together, but even with the engine movement everything stays in place. I have a couple connections that aren't clamped but are still airtight. Guess I'll just save the money from the smooth bellows for something else. I know it's not ideal, especially for IAT's, but it looks a ton better than the 99+ f-duct with or without the provided heat shield and I'm not real worried about engine performance on this car, at least for now..