Strange clicking/clunking noise??? HELP?

91LuminaEuro

Ok, so in the lumina, if i have the car in neutral and turn the wheel left and right, (actually turn it stop to stop) it makes a strange click/clunk noise. In neutral it seems to do it both ways, left and right, if its in park or drive it does it spiratically, and if its not doing it, i can move foreward a foot and then it will do it again.

It does it while im driving too, when i hit a bump, its at its loudest when i make a turn and hit a bump. Like pulling into a parking lot with a small curb.

I have no idea what this is.

I've checked all the suspension components on the car, i checked the rack. I checked the motor mounts.

I checked the cradle mounts, the rears both don't move. The fronts have a small amount of movement. So it could be those?

If you put your hand on the cradle you can feel the popping and from up top using a long screwdriver you can hear it. If you do the same with the rack you can hear it but its not nearly as loud on the frame.

Any ideas? I'm lost other than thinking its those front mounts. However it sounds and feels like its coming from somewhere closer to me in the car, like directly under my left foot almost.

Yeah I had that problem with my GTP.

I took it to Midas for a free inspection and come to find out, the back subframe bolts were loose.

Keep in mind the lower control arms are attached to the subframe so if the sub is loose, it will move with hitting bumps or making turns. That is where most of the clunking noises come from.

Anyways I don't know how they came loose, probably a careless tech at some point forgot to tighten them well but anyways the tech at Midas hit them with an impact wrench and my front end has not made any noise since.

If you are getting a rhythmic clicking when turning, check out the CV boots.

BGasically go some place like Midas or Meineke if they offer free underbody inspections and if anything under there IS bad, see what they might ask to fix it. For the record, Midas didn't charge me anything to tighten the bolts, but I gave the tech a $10 tip anyways just to say thanks.

You could also do the work yourself but if it is just loose bolts and they will hit them real quick for free, why not?

If you call to ask about a free inspection, don't ask, "...is it free?" just be like, "what would you charge for an underbody inspection?" and then let them tell you if it is free.

Edited by Red Nightmare

I actually live and work in a repair shop. My dad has his own garage. (which happens to be attached to our home) So i've had the car up and down on one of the lifts already and checked everything.

All the sub frame bolts are tight, and when we pry on the sub frame or the mounts we get no movement, but if you lay under the car and put your fingers around the front mounts they feel as though they are moving. Which is why its weird.

We have pried, pulled, tugged, and everything we could on every part of the front suspension and sub frame and nothing seems out of the ordinary, which is why im baffled.

The only thing i can think of is that the lower engine mount is completely shot and may be causing the noise? Or those front sub frame mounts OR a combination which is what im leaning towards.

I am thinking a combination... To check the mount... Ho from reverse to drive and watch how much the motor moves... Also you can hold the brakes and rev it in gear and watch how much it moves... If its good the movement of the engine should be minimal

Yeah i checked that too AL, and i just replaced both upper engine mounts, so there isn't much movement. But i know for sure that the lower mount is bad. I need to just change it and see if that makes this go away.