Alternative ways to fill a gas tank...

Penglii

My fuel filler neck has finally rotted out completely... so now I'm trying to brainstorm alternative ways to get enough gas in my tank for a week's worth of driving to and from work in the Blue Sedan...

I'll have my spare filler neck back into my possession in a couple days, and will have the time to change it out next weekend. But until then the car is nearly empty and I really don't want to hitch a ride to/from work all week. Thus I gotta resort to ghetto-fab solutions.

My first thought was to duct-tape the filler neck enough that I can put a tanks worth of gas into the car... however this is likely to be an epic fail due to the cold damp weather and the adhesive dissolving powers of gasoline.

It occurs to me that the anti-syphon valve prevents you from jamming a hose down the neck and into the tank to REMOVE gas from the car... but is there any reason that it would fail miserably to pour gas INTO the tank using a hose jammed as far down as it can go, thus bypassing the rot-holes?

I suppose I might want to crawl under the car anyway and laboriously disconnect the neck from the rubber connecting hose to check for plan-thwarting rust chunk clogs... but I'll probably want to do that anyway...

I suppose I don't have much to lose by trying... :shrug:

Thoughts? Encouragement? Concerns?

Better ideas?

Worse Ideas? :lol:

friend of mine bought a grand prix with a busted hose from the filler neck to tank. we wrapped the shit out of it with duct tape in a parking lot. lasted a few weeks till we got around to replacing it.

Take a piece of wax paper, any kind you pick up in the grocery store for $1.89 or so. post-2757-143689058495_thumb.jpg Wrap the filler neck with it, then wrap your duct tape around the wax paper, you will have no issues with the gas eating the duct tape for about a month, so it will give you lots of time to fill it up and replace the filler neck when you get time.

X2 on the wax paper... I also thought about suggesting wrapping a garbage bag around the fuller neck and taping that up

Garbage bag won't work for any period of time, gas will eat right through it.

I like the wax paper idea, that's just simple enough to be brilliant!

I will be giving that a try, it could also improve the adhesion of the duct tape as opposed to being right on the near-freezing cold metal...

Should I remove the filler neck from the car for the patch-up job? Or is it "easy" enough to finagle some tape around the pipe while it is still on the car?

I'm sure I'll see for myself which way will be easier as soon as I get up in there...

Well now this blows... somehow the wheel is stuck.

The lugnuts are off, the wheel is jacked up off the ground, the parking brake is on, but I still cannot pull or even hammer the wheel off myself. That's just not right...

This presents a whole new disturbing angle to my problem! Gonna be really hard to repare or replace this filler neck if I cannot even get to it! :mad:

So now I have 2 cars that I cannot currently drive... that's just great...

Edited by Penglii

HAHAHA yeah I'm sure that will work... good excuse to go get a sledgehammer.

I suppose I just don't own a big enough hammer.

Ran out of time to work on this for now today... hopefully I get some time tomorrow.

you know what I did when this happened to me is to jack it up, loosen the nuts just a tad, like a bit looser than finger tight, then release the pressure in the jack quickly. Worked for me. YMMV

SUCEESS!

Finally had some more time to freeze my ass off working on this... got the wheel off by loosening the lugnuts and raising/dropping the jack a few times. Piece of cake.

Got the not-rotted fuel filler neck installed... really glad I did not try to patch the old one, it fell apart in my hands when I touched it. Yikes.

Having the filler neck split in half makes it super easy to remove... getting the new one in was a PAIN IN THE ASS.

But 2 hours later and maybe a little frostbite I can finally put gas in my Blue Sedan again.

Thanks for all your ideas everyone!