Opening door

pitzel

My drivers side door can't be opened from the outside or the inside.

I think the rods inside are bent.

Obviously I can't disassemble the door without opening it.

Anyone have any ideas of how to open the door or how to dissassemble, without actually opening the door?

Argh!!

I just had this happen as well, but in my case the rods were not bent. There is a spring on the door latch itself (you have to remove the whole assembly from the door to see it) that was broken. This spring returns the door handle to it's resting position. When it was broken, the latch appeared to work properly but the first time it locked I could never re-open it.

Make sure to test your fix without closing the door...including actuating the locks and make sure it still functions properly afterward.

Here is what alldata says. I have done this multiple times and works great.

1. Roll glass to the full down position.

2. On COUPES, place a plastic wedge, such as door stop, between the glass and outer belt seal to create a gap for access to the latch assembly. On SEDANS, place the wedge between the glass and Inner belt.

3. With a long flat blade screwdriver, locate the detent lever and rubber bumper (bumper may be yellow or white) on the latch (See Figure 1). Insert the screwdriver between the two and twist to move the detent lever outboard (See Figure 1).

4. The door will open when the lever is moved.

having messed with this a few times on our cars, you can remove the small sub panel covering the lower rear of the doorpanel after moving the seat forward. reach in there and feel for the mechanism parts and you cna actuate anything and everything from there to open the door... when i have done this before, it was easiest to just unhook the door handle linkages and then toggle the levers they actuate.