security issues???

karrkrazzie

1999 chevy lumina ltz...Aright so it all started last winter when I went to start my car... when I turned the ky everything came on as normal but when I moved the key to the start position nothing happens... wait a minute and it would start... after one of the episodes the security light came on for a day then shut off and never came back happened 3 or 4 times last winter and that was all... until the coldest day this winter... same problem... that was 2 days ago (Sunday) got in my car tonight (Tuesday) and it started fine but security light is on and is not turning off so far... from what I can figure it is something to do with the chip in my key but really no idea from there... any ideas?

Sounds like a VATS issue and you probably need a new cylinder/key. BUT, I got lucky with my 96... When it was cold the Security Light would always come on if the keys were in my pocket if I was brushing the car off. One day I had my gloves off, and I noticed the keys were freezing. I held the ignition key until it was warm (in my hands) and did that for 4 weeks before I switched to a new key, and the problem went a way. Probably one in a million for that happening, but worth a shot? It's free, right?

sounds like you're getting an intermittent "FAIL-Enable" from the PASSKEY module... which means the little wires that go into the lock cylinder to read the resistance of the key may be going out soon.

nothing happening at all when you turn the key shouldn't be a PASSKEY issue though, i believe it's lock cylinder related though, i dealt with the same issue on the coldest days of the year myself. PASSKEY will only disable fueling, not cranking.

I had the same issue and I bypassed the VATS reader in the ignition switch. In my case under the dash there was an orange casing with two white wires. I clipped these and bridged them with a resistor pack (probe the 'chip' on your key for the proper resistance to use.) I would recommend using some kind of disconnects on the pack in case you want to unplug it for whatever reason (bad neighborhood or whatever.) It's been almost a year now since I had any problems. It's not the recommended way of going about it but it's an idea.