2006 impala SS - what to look for?

patgizz

besides typical w body stuff that i already know to look for, what should be inspected closely when looking at a 2006 impala SS?

carli needs a family type car in the spring, putting a baby seat in the back of the cavalier is not an option. the final payment on the chevelle was mailed yesterday - FTW - so she is ready to start looking. it will be financed through her bank, so we plan to look at dealers(i hate dealers) and private sellers.

this morning i found a blue 06 SS with 67k for $12k and a dark red one with 80k for $11k. both look nice in the pictures and claim to be super clean, no damage, etc... the auto check report on the blue car shows an accident when it was a month old. i do not mind an accident in the history as long as it was repaired correctly and does not show odd signs like uneven tires. i understand that 06's are coming off their 5/100 warranty now so i will be buying with no warranty if we go that old, but that is the same whether from dealer or private seller, no dealer offers a warranty on a 5 year old car unless you pay out the arse for it.

what say you

The main thing on those is the trannys... Take them both to WOT and see how they shift... And almost all dealers say they are "super clean" because they detail them... However use that accident to negotiate the price down

yeah, like al said, trans... the LS4 makes 323 lb-ft of torque and in GM's infinite wisdom, they hooked it up to a 4T65, even though the N* makes less torque, yet recieved the 4T80 since it's inception.

Here is my feeler back in July about the 2006 Impala SS

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/47070-2006-Impala-SS-Questions

Here is my Acquired thread if it helps any, just some pictures:

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/47221-Acquired-a-2006-Impala-SS

Yes keep an eye on the transmission. Its not as bad as the internet world makes it out to be in my opinion. Remember people will typically post about how horrible their experience is... not often you see people just come online to praise their transmission when it works day to day. The tranny is plenty strong, the chain is beefier, the diff is bigger and the input shaft is hardened (unlike the pre 2004 L67 HD trans). [edit: Finally it has a larger torque converter. /edit] Don't be beating up on it and it'll last a long time just like any other transmission. I believe if the transmissions were this bad we would be seeing a class action lawsuit already similar to how GM was sued for the 1 gens rear brakes.

Most common thing I noticed when test driving several SS, intermediate shaft clunk and tons of gunk around the inside of the coolant bottle. In the internet world, they say the rear defroster is prone to not working. There is also a hiss from the speakers when you turn the radio to low or have the turn signals on; I hear that is normal. Also inquire if the high pressure power steering line was replaced under recall for the 2006's.

Try to find one GM certifed. 12mo/12,000 mile bumper to bumper. I had mine for three months, 5 year old battery took a crap... did some complaining to the Certified hotline and got a free battery.

Where are you located? There are still quite a few left within a 100 mile radius of Buffalo I have researched.

Ask me anything you want, I love the car.

Still goin strong :)

Only work I've had done was a battery under warranty and the power steering line recall.

I also have the radio hiss, really makes me mad because I have the Bose system and have to deal with that shit? I took it in to see if I could get it fixed but they had no idea what to do. It really isn't a big deal though, because I never listen to the radio/cd low enough to hear it.

If you have any non-impala specific questions I'd be happy to answer if I can.

Edited by Cully77

FYI the 5yr/100K warranty did not start until 2007. Many people used to get mad when they came into the dealer with 06's and I had to be the one to tell them it wasn't covered, that never went over well.

Watch out for ISS issues and turning the wheel lock to lock and hearing a chirping. There was a recall on that as well, my mom had it done on her 07 LS. My mom's car was nice, if it had more options I would have bought it from my parents off lease.

Mine has a 5 yr/100k... is that because it's GM cert? Powertrain is covered until this coming january. I've taken it in for warranty work. Which reminds me I had an airbag sensor replaced under warranty.

damn, i was unaware they put the 4t65 in front of the v8. both ones we were thinking of going to look at are from private sellers. but - knowing the 4t65 - i may reconsider just knowing that you have no clue if a used car was hammered or driven like a grandma. guess the 4t80 was too much for beancounters to go for. :lol:

what kinda mpg are you guys getting real world versus knowing we could get 30+ hwy with a 3500

While the LZE 3500 isnt a huge powerhouse, the 06 the GF and I have until we bid it a fond farewell Jan 1st, gets 29.5mpg at 80-85mph and has zero issues cruising at that speed.

However, dont get an 06 unless they are willing to give you a warrenty on the LZEs headgaskets or if they have been redone per GM redesign then you are fine.

GM Cert is usually 12/12 but some GM Cert's are set up differently depending on what dealers offer in their plans. But GM did not offer the 5/100 on 06's. Cully your dealer must have upped the warranty, which works to your benefit.

I take the train to work so really the only driving I do is evenings and weekends, 80% city. I'm at 15.5 mpg. On the highway I hover in the upper 20's. I've seen the instant fuel economy hold at 30-31 before (according to the car if that's accurate), but I'm sure the avg. hwy is lower than that.