alternator diagram/picture/info

Psych0matt

When I got the car the previous owner had already got the alternator loose and all, so it was just in there not bolted in with nothing connected. before I get it all back together I want to make sure everything is correct (so I don't have to re do anything). How many wires are there, bolts, what are all the connections, etc? I diagram would be nice but that probably wont happen, though I've done enough 3.1 alternators that I can use my 91 for reference. Also, there appears to be a knock sensor (IIRC) visible with the alternator out, that has no wire, yet the car still runs. Dummy?

Hope this will help, its the only good pic I have really... I always took a pic of the front of the motor and never the rear... But it is a big enough size you should be able to zoom in and check it out a little better, If I end up finding any others Ill let you know

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af152/bigalwalker08/91%20grand%20prix/DSC06961.jpg

This one isn't too great, but was all I could find at the moment. 94 engine with slightly different alternator but basically the same mounting. I might have something better at home. There is a specific order to how the stud goes on for the little brace on the back to attach to or else it will not line up for the bolt to go into the back of the alternator. I think the stud is the bottom of the two bolts going into the block and the aluminum jackshaft bracket slips on over it. The alternator wiring routes under the front of the oil pan and clips onto one of the braces down there. All it is is the loop that bolts onto the alternator stud and the two wire plug.

IMGP3655Medium.jpg

Should just be one connector + the positive wire going to the alt on your car Matt. Get in the chat and I'll send you a copy of the repair procedure for the alt....the diagram included in it isn't that great though.

2 quick questions

1) is it acceptable to leave the top mounting bolt off? ( I have no idea how I'm going to get to it)

B) does anyone know what size bolt the lower is? Yeah, I'm missing that...

and apparently theres a rear bolt as well? :dunno: i wish I could find some decent pictures that don;t look like they were drawn by a 3 year old with a pen running out of ink! If it's ok to leave the rear facing bolt out, and I can find a bottom bolt to get it started, I should be able to tighten the top bolt no problem from the top.

Edited by Psych0matt

2 quick questions

1) is it acceptable to leave the top mounting bolt off? ( I have no idea how I'm going to get to it)

B) does anyone know what size bolt the lower is? Yeah, I'm missing that...

Yes, leave the top bolt out. It is a pain to take out, and a pain to put back in.

No clue. Take it to the store, find the right thread and pitch. Measure and estimate on the length based on the mounting boss on the alternator and on the motor itself.

Ok, so am I following correctly when "top" bolt is the opposite facing one, but I should still put the two in that are on the outside? Or are we talking about just putting in the bottom one that's easy, thus only having it mounted by one bolt? And how can I take it to the store, it's connected to the engine! (the bracket that the bolt screws into)

Crap, forgot about that. Tape measure the hole diameter, buy a couple bolts, return what doesn't fit?

The top bolt is the bolt on the top! I really can't remember, it's been 5 years now.

Haha, ok. I just realized after my two posts that there are two bolts that go in from the passenger side so to speak, and then one on the back that comes from the opposite side (that I can't see). I just dont know if it'd be ok to leave it on just 1 bolt. I think once I get the bottom one on I can tighten the top one with some help, if I do it from the top.

So I found a bolt that fits into the hole, now I just have to run up and see if I can get a longer one to fit *crosses fingers*. I still need to know if it's acceptable just to run with the one lower bolt. I think that's what I'm understanding. (again, I don't mean to sound like a newb, but I'm fixing someone else's mess!)

Ok, thanks again Chris! I just wasn't sure if running with only one was alright. I'm gonna have to run up to either work or crap depot, because Advance didn't have the right bolt. Maybe I'll hit autozone... If I get the right bolt, I should be able to get her put back together tonight

Edited by Psych0matt

Al, you keep posting in everything and when I switch pages I think my computer is acting up, cuz it doesn't change! :lol:

According to the diagram I was looking at (on autozone maybe? :thinking: ) there were two main ones, and then just a bar and a bolt on the backside. I have the main bolt in, and the top one started but not tight, but I think I can get a long wrench and tighten it later. I can reach it with my hand from the top, but not enough to tighten it

I did, but not the rear one. I don't think the support brace or whatever it is was even there if I wanted to do it, but it doesn't seem at all like it does anything anyways. I put the top bolt in, but its not all the way tight, only a few turns. It's not gonna come out (it cant back out far enough, it hits the side), but I can at least tighten it if/when I find something long enough to get down there

Matt, I just resent the diagram I had. I must have typed your addy wrong last night as I got a mail delivery failure. The mail delivery failure didn't show up until a few hours later, so I didn't know until just a little while ago.