Brake light issues

karrkrazzie

I have a 1999 Lumina LTZ and the brake lights on my car sometimes work and sometimes don't, the center one in the window always works. but the other two do not. I just noticed yesterday that they seems to go in and out of working when i "jiggle" the turn signal arm. I dont know if that would be something to replace? And if so what is the actual switch called? any information would be good. Thanks guys

Well I am going to replace it, I dont have any idea which one to buy though... First I looked at autozone the one there ie 59.99 but does not indicate whether or not it works with cruise control...The one at advance auto is like 140 and indicates cruise control but that is expensive.. one at o reilly auto parts is 80 and indicates cruise but not steering wheel controls. idk what to do, the prices range a lot and not sure what to get because everyone has something different.. IT is a 1999 lumina LTZ with steering wheel controls and cruise control. I am slo going to replace the cruise control switch itself... Ill keep looking but I have come up empty on a perfect match so far

DO NOT BUY THE AUTOZONE ONE. THEY BREAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY ARE MADE OF SOFTER PLASTIC THAN THE OEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I recommend attempting to refurbish the switch yourself, which involves disassembly of the switch. If it is unrepairable then replace. Most switches just need the contacts cleaned and new silicone grease to lubricate it. Rockauto.com's TSS choice are far better than the SHET at Autozone, advance... etc etc etc.

It's a pretty common problem with these cars.... if you have to replace it, I recommend using the AC Delco part. Replaced one of these in mine last spring, think it was around $80 on rockauto for the turn signal switch with steering wheel radio controls.

This is probably stickied/linked somewhere else around here... but here's the writeup I followed when replacing mine.

http://tss.likeabigdog.com/

Yes, the switch is greased, but I would recommend careful application of the grease. Grease is nonconductive, making it harder to make a contact. I also bent the copper tangs toward the board for MAX POWAR. I did notice that on my 85k mile switch the rounded end of the contacts were worn pretty flat

• 5 months later...

I know it's an old thread but it was helpful. My brake and signal lights were all goofy as well. After checking out the price of GOOD replacement switches I decided to try cleaning up and regreasing mine first. Definately easier than replacement and using a pencil eraser to clean up the contacts worked great. Also bent out the contacts a little to enhance contact force. Fixed all my light problems for free. Thanks for the advice! :thumbsup: