bronze93

I picked up a Gentex at the junkyard yesterday and have a some of questions :

1. How does the old mirror come off, set screw, clips?

2. I have a sunroof in mine, so can I tap into that for the power and ground?

3. Is there any small dome/map lights from any other car that could work for a replacement for the mirror lights? I want to place it up near the sunroof switch and it would have to snap into the headliner. I looked at this one :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-97-Pontiac-Grand-Prix-Dome-Light-/220551989053?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3359ec473d#ht_2293wt_780

But I don't know how it mounts or the size.

4. Is there any way to bench test this? I connected the pink to positive and black to ground and it keeps sparking at the connections.

Edited by bronze93
more questions

To answer number three, you can probably get one of those but get one with a sunroof switch and hook that up to your sunroof

And I think the old mirror has a torx screw you unscrew and it loosens it up

Well, the answer to question #1 is it just slides off with some persuasion. As far as the others go I still don't know. I think the mirror I got is bad. Whenever I connect power to it it starts to heat up the test leads and doesn't light up the display. Any ideas? Help is definitely appreciated. Thanks

Well you're right about #1. I have a '95 GP and the old mirror will slide off with some effort. As for the others....

#2) That depends. If you have the auto-dim mirror with compass, i'd recommend tapping into a power source that will turn on the mirror with ignition. If you have map lights, then maybe to a constant power source or to your interior lights. I could be wrong...i'm not sure how others do.

#3) I'm not sure about this one.

#4) If its a two wire hook up, the black should be ground. If you get sparks when you apply 12v to it, it might be bad. Check to make sure if there are any other wires hidden within the plastic sleeve. Otherwise, it could be a bad mirror. Speaking of mirror...what kind do you have?

It's a Gentex 177 (I think, I'll check when I get home.) It came from a Cadillac DeVille, auto dimming and compass(no map lights or temp). I have been checking some of the Cadillac schematics and have found that not all mirrors are wired the same. 97-99 the yellow is supposed to be the battery wire and from 2000 up brown is. I'm going to test this today. I was going off of this post : http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/36914-How-do-you-wire-in-a-caddy-mirror-into-94-gp?highlight=gentex Which is possibly completely wrong thus causing the sparks. According to the schematics the pink (pink\black) wire is ground for the autodimming side mirrors. All of my statements will be tested this afternoon.

Does anyone know how the 97-03 roof console mounts to the headliner/ceiling. I found a console with a sunroof switch and map/dome lights. I just need to know how they mount.

Edited by bronze93

If the console has screw holes and two tabs, you have to cut your headliner. Then you have to drill pilot holes for those screws.

The Gentex mirrors are all the same circuit board, they just have different color wires sometimes. If you look at the back of the mirror, the first wire is positive, the second is ground. What is the power source you are using to check this mirror?

Does it have more than one pink wire? One of the caddy mirrors I have does, and if I hook positive in to the wrong pink wire it arcs.

If you're using those first two wires and its sparking, chances are you have a messed up mirror.

I have completely connected the mirror. Yellow is power, Black is ground, Green is reverse. I have connected them all and it powers up perfectly. I ran the wires all the way down to connector c200 and made my connections. I also picked up a console from a GP with dome lights and sunroof switch. I will probably installed that later this week once I find out was is under the headliner and where the sunroof motor is.