Thinking about getting this GTP

Psych0matt

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I figured here would be fine :lol: Long story short, I've been talking to this guy who had posted a CL ad about a 92 GTP 5 speed. It's complete, but the alternator needs swapped. This is what he explained in the first email response:

"Yes the car is still together other than having the belt off and a few bolts to remove the old alt. I have two more of these cars and with those the alt came out the bottom. This one the previous owner had someone put one in that was to big and they drop the cradle to pit it in so my option is to take it apart up in the car. The new one fits up in there but I don't exactly want to drive it with an trashed alt bouncing around in there."

so from the sounds of it, it needs an alt job, which I'm fine with tackling, I have nothing but time. He's asking 1750, which isn't too bad if it was together and I could hear it run and feel how it shifts. I'm thinking about offering around 1300 mostly for that fact and was wondering every one else's opinion. Here are the pics he sent me:

022.jpg

021.jpg

020.jpg

019.jpg

017.jpg

016.jpg

015.jpg

014.jpg

013.jpg

012.jpg

011.jpg

010.jpg

009.jpg

007.jpg

005.jpg

Feel free to give me thoughts, suggestions, want to come check it out with me, etc!

interior > exterior

I'm very ok with that. It needs a little bit here and there, but a near perfect graphite AQ9 interior kinda makes me reaaaaalllllly want it. I can live with paint issues as long is it's not too dented and dinged

i'm going to say this as nice as i can. No Non running 1st gen is worth over 1k. The paint looks pretty bad. Id offer 5-800. I have bought and sold alot of cars. I would offer 800. and let him think about it. Also, Dont let him know you "Want or even Need" If he knows you want it. he knows you will give more then what you offer to get it.

I very much appreciate your input. I would go as high as 1000 given your thoughts if the underbody is rust free, but otherwise I'll do exactly what you said. I don't even plan on making an offer on first look. Since it'd need to be trailered I'd check it out and then get back with him. At any rate, that's the kind of info I'm wanting to hear from people :thumbsup:

Just to give you an idea of a running 92.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/2047683902.html

Its not a 5 speed. But there are alot of people that can not Drive a 5 speed. If i was going to look at the car " Id be like man idk, the 5 speed Really drives me away. Im not sure if i could drive it." LOL... Go and get in the goat when i leave and kill it 2 or three times!

Yeah, I've definitely still had that in the back of my mind as well, but I've really been wanting a 5 speed car. Heck, I still have tax money and some bonus money coming in a few months, so that's not out of the question :lol:

If you can verify it runs and the transaxle is ok, I would offer around $800ish for it. Use the crappy paint and anything else as haggling points.

I'm moving this to the "General" section by the way.

I say if you are wanting a good tuner car to play with and possible motor swaps and turbo setups-DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO GET THIS CAR. then worry about how much you payed for it later on.

Listen to that guy^ :thumbsup:

It has 5speed, xlace, AQ9, leather, HUD, and DIC. That alone would be enough for me to get this thing.

I'm just gonna add that W BODIES LOOK SEXY AS FUCK IN BLACK!!!

as long as it's not majorly effed up in some big way I can't fix, I most likely will. I'm not taking a trailer with me when I check it out simply for the bargaining reason (so it doesn't look like I'm dead set on getting it), and also so I don't have it in my mind that I'm set on getting it either. I have all monday afternoon and tuesday to go get it if everything works out.

just talked to him on the phone, and he seems decently knowledgeable about the car, but I don't think he realizes how much I know :lol: Anyways, he said he might dink around tomorrow and get the old alternator back on enough to slap a belt on and at least take it around the block and whatnot. If that's the case, I'd probably do 1300 I'm thinking. Says the body is rust free, minor surface rust on the underside, good exhaust, needs brakes (just from sitting), but is otherwise in near perfect condition. I guess I'll find out sunday. Hoping I can get a good deal out of this one!

Oh, and the paint fade on the front isnt really fade, its from a bra the previous owner had on it. So a good buffing might fix that.

The front bumper looks like the clear coat is wore through to me. Buffing isn't going to fix that...but you could always touch it up or respray a bumper. Car covers wreak havoc on paint outdoors. I wouldn't be surprised if the paint is bad in other areas from the car cover rubbing against it.

I agree with Matt, the clearcoat is chalked off so it's not going to buff out. The bumpers get that way even without a car cover or bra. It looks to me like the rear bumper is the same way. The bumpers on my 89 Cutlass are like that on the top surfaces.