Keyless Entry

bronze93

Ok from what I've read there are two types of receiver boxes, one connector and two connector. Is it possible to use the two connector box in a one connector car by redoing the wires? I have found alot of cutlasses with 2 connectors but have yet to find a 1 connector box in any car. I would like to get my keyless entry working before it gets to cold. I removed the box in my car, resolder it, and put it back in. It worked for a day or two and then stopped.

Is this off your '94 grand Prix?

Yes

Yes, it's possible. As I recall, the 2 connector had extra wires for domelight supervision. If you have the pinouts, it should be fairly simple rewiring.

So a 2 connector one will work in a 1 connector car as long as I rewire or repin. Will I be able to use the original remote and will programming it be the same?

So a 2 connector one will work in a 1 connector car as long as I rewire or repin. Will I be able to use the original remote and will programming it be the same?

Definitely yes on the remote, and I believe they are programmed the same way.

Is one receiver better than another as far as manufacturer or solder joints? Do I have to stay with receivers below any certain year in order to be able to keep my existing remote or be able to program it for my remote without going to a dealer?

I'm not sure if newer is better or not. The one in my 94 was dead, so I know mid 90s isn't any better than late 80s! You need one that used rectangular key fobs and not the round. I think Lumina you can go to 1996. According to an eBay search, 1997-up Lumina key fobs are round. However, sometimes eBay ads are not to be trusted and sometimes people use photos that aren't of the actual item.

Does anyone have a schematic of the 96 grand prix keyless entry and or the power door locks? I picked up a receiver from a 96 grand prix. It has 3 extra wires 1 pink, 1 dark blue, and 1 Gray. I found a schematic for a 96 lumina on here but don't know if it is the same as a grand prix. According to the lumina diagram the pink goes to an ignition wire from fuse 39, the dark blue goes to the door switches, and the gray goes to the rear compartment lid release solenoid(whatever that is). Any help is appreciated.

You probably saw my post on adding keyless entry to a lumina which is were you found that wiring diagram. 97+ uses different remotes so you should be fine with that 96 box. I got my wiring diagrams from

Here

Username: portneuf

Password: library

select your year, manufacture, model, then hit "wiring diagrams". Then click on door locks for the wiring diagram

As far as those three wires you don't have, the dark blue and pink seems to be for the interior lighting which you don't need, gray goes to the trunk popper but you may not need that for your older car since the other w's have one wire to the trunk popper while newer ones have two. I put my gray wire to the black/white wire on the trunk popper. I would rewire the wires you do have and leave those three out for now to see if it works. Worst case is it won't work.

Edited by cubsfan24

Well, I hooked it all up and decided to see if it worked. I didn't connect the pink, dark blue, or gray wire. I grounded out the programming wire and it worked so I programmed the remote. pressed the door lock, locked. Pressed the unlock, unlocked. Pressed the trunk, nothing. so I disconnected the black white trunk wire and connected the gray wire to it. Pressed the trunk and the trunk pops. I still have no clue what the dark blue and pink do but I didn't need them. Dark blue is supposed to be an illuminated entry but when I press the lock or unlock the courtesy lights come on in the car.

Well as long as it works thats all that matters. Glad everything is working for you. Hmmmm my brothers 94 regal keyless entry box is acting up again after my re-solder job so maybe ill do this same upgrade to a two connector box since the single connector ones seem to be more temper-mental.