blinkers wont work

dodgeman

1994 cutlass. I drove down a very bumpy dirt road the other day and now my blinkers will not work. when i turn them on there is no indication on the instrument cluster and looking from behind the car the brake light would go out when the blinker was turned on. did something come loose. i have checked fuses, dont know where to go from here. thanks

Do you know if this is the OEM or a cheap sheet aftermarket TS switch?

Does your turn signal lever move like normal including canceling when turning the wheel???? if yes:

re-check the specific fuse for the turnsignal to make sure it is good.....

Turn the hazards on. inspect all lightbulbs for functionality(exterior, especially). replace any that are bad.

If/when all lights are good, wiggle the hazard button while the turn signal is applied. Do they work now?

No? Locate the flasher, which is located at the top of the accelerator pedal, remove it and replace is with a paperclip/piece of wire. When applied, the TS should turn on but stay on.

If they stay on, replace the silver flasher unit with a like unit.

If your turn signals still do not work, or did not feel function at all, time to remove the steering wheel and get to the switch.

I have observed one aftermarket switch that ejected the moving mechanism due to inferior design, and many more that have had the tolerance change with time. BUY A REPUTABLE TSS if you need one, NOT AUTISTIC ZONE'S crap one...

I'm dealing with inop turn signals right now in my 88 GP as well... Is there a writeup for accessing the turn signal switch here? I searched and didn't find one...

the blinker switch seems to be original. i moved the blinker switch toward me like i was going to go to high beams and the blinkers started to work. bad switch huh?

Yep. Pretty common on our cars.

PRO-TIP: most TSS can be disassembled, cleaned, relubricated, and made to work 100% like new or better. I use Dielectric grease on the ones i service.

Like a big dog's advice is virtually the same for the 88-93 (and 94 lumina)