Power Lock Stupidity

bronze93

The power lock on the drivers side stopped working a little while ago so today I decided to fix it. I spent 3 hours tearing things apart, testing wires, and looking at wiring diagrams. I felt really stupid when I figured it out so I figured I would post here to hopefully save someone else. The end problem was the fact that I had disconnected the keyless entry box that sits on the rear deck. Apparently this is part of the system and is required for the drivers power door lock to work.

Another thing I found out while reading the schematics is you can disable the automatic door locks by pulling fuse #7.

fuse 7 only disables the auto unlock feature. it will still lock with the fuse out. i cut the auto lock wire at the chime module on my 96 gp, along with pullin the #7fuse. now it has no auto door lock anything!

You didn't have to cut the wire. I simply disconnected it from the chime box and no more auto lock or unlock. And if I ever decide I want it or someone I sell it to wants it, I don't have to resplice all the wires.

You didn't have to cut the wire. I simply disconnected it from the chime box and no more auto lock or unlock. And if I ever decide I want it or someone I sell it to wants it, I don't have to resplice all the wires.

all i have to do 2 restore the auto lock (which i never will) is reconnect 1 wire. not a big deaL Im not gonna sell the car to anybody that is gonna care about the auto lock feature anyway....i hope there arent any empty cavities on that chime module connecter. if there is u might have a problem finding the right one if u want 2 restore the auto locks...

I'm not quite sure what you mean there.

There's two plugs that go into my chime box: one big one with 8 slots, and a small one with 4. I unplug the one with 4 and I keep my chimes (save the annoying blinker chime) but lose my auto (un)lock. I just ziptied this plug in the dash along with my RCA's to keep them from moving around.

I do agree that I dislike the auto lock feature though. I mean, I guess it serves its purpose but I just don't like it.