Want new brake lines

Dark Ride

I want/need to put new brake lines in the TGP, how do you get that goofy flare where it meets the hose? The parts store carries bend-it-yourself brake line, but standard flares.

Mastercool 71475 is about the best way I know of.

http://www.mastercool.com/pages/flaring_tools.html

71475.gif

Available at discount from any of a dozen internet tool sales companies.

Manual tubing flare sets are available, but not nearly as much fun.

Good luck bending the tubing tight enough without kinking unless you use a QUALITY tubing bender. It might be possible...certainly not worth the arthritis in the thumbs for me.

https://www.flowline.net/default.aspx?page=item%20detail&itemcode=364-FH-03 (example for 3/16 tubing)

Don't forget the metric tube nuts.

Edited by Schurkey

Good luck bending the tubing tight enough without kinking unless you use a QUALITY tubing bender. It might be possible...certainly not worth the arthritis in the thumbs for me.

I've filled them with sand and taped the ends good and tight before bending. Works great. Make sure to flush the sand out of course.

seriously?? 3/16ths brake line doesn't require a tubing bender. Line that small is easy to bend and kinking shouldn't be an issue unless you aren't paying attention. A generic flaring tool kit will work fine. Autozone rents them as a matter of fact.

I have a tube bender which works great for making tight bends, but if all your bends are gradual then you should be fine by hand.

I've never had problems bending the brake line. I was just wondering about the flares. Autozone rents them, and they can do bubble flares? My dad has a flaring tool, but it only does standard flares.

If you get a flaring tool or rent one, make sure it can do a double flare. It's the only way to go with brake lines to withstand the high psi of the brake fluid. Don't use any other type of junction because it can leak.

If you get a flaring tool or rent one, make sure it can do a double flare. It's the only way to go with brake lines to withstand the high psi of the brake fluid. Don't use any other type of junction because it can leak.

Do you or the shop you work for have one? If I brought you some brake line could you show me how to do it?