SWRC backlight

spiderw31

The left column of buttons on my SWRC just recently had the backlighting go out. I think I remember reading (but can't find the thread) that the lighting can't be replaced, and the buttons have to be replaced. Is this true?

possibly.

i wouldn't know though, but some of the larger surface mount packaged LEDs are workable with your average soldering iron.

Most surface mount is no match for my iron! :biggrin: I'll have to look at it when I have time. What with the bakes, and other odds and ends that the car needs, along with a two week old in the house, whether or not the SWRC light up fully isn't a priority. :lol:

I'll post back once I take a look at'em.

They are probably just tiny light bulbs in a socket. The old bulb can usually be removed from the socket and replaced with a generic bulb with leads. Something like this:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103780

LEDs weren't really used much in first-gen W-body lighting because they were expensive back then and didn't come in as many colors.

Oh yeah, I forgot to update this, but I did take a look at it last weekend and there are 2 bulbs. Looks like a pain though, once you get the back cover off the SWRC module, you've got a circult board that needs to be removed before gaining access to the bulbs. Yes, I think they're similar to the seat controls, but I'm not sure if they're the same.

Oh yeah, I forgot to update this, but I did take a look at it last weekend and there are 2 bulbs. Looks like a pain though, once you get the back cover off the SWRC module, you've got a circult board that needs to be removed before gaining access to the bulbs. Yes, I think they're similar to the seat controls, but I'm not sure if they're the same.

Cool thanks! :high5:

When I get a chance I'll tear into mine and fix 'em. Sounds like once the PCB is off, it should be manageable.