Check gauges light?

spiderw31

So for a while now I've had the check gauges light lit intermittently, and this started happening shortly after modifying my oil pressure sender wiring to make the gauge functional. I had just been assuming that the off brand sender I got had issues, and I've got a new AC Delco part ready to swap at next oil change.

Yesterday though the check gauges light and they low fuel light both went on and off simultaneously a few times. Additionally, the intensity of both lights changed rhythmically with the blinkers. Now I'm thinking the real problem is cold solder joints on the cluster. Does this sound right?

So for a while now I've had the check gauges light lit intermittently, and this started happening shortly after modifying my oil pressure sender Now I'm thinking the real problem is cold solder joints on the cluster. Does this sound right?

Yes, that's your problem. The procedure to fix this is on the regular w-body page. Pretty much all you need to do is heat up all the solder joints again and the issue will go away.

Yes, that's your problem. The procedure to fix this is on the regular w-body page. Pretty much all you need to do is heat up all the solder joints again and the issue will go away.

Yeah, I do remember seeing the writeup a while back, just thought I'd get another opinion before tearing into the cluster. Thanks!:high5:

Re-soldering it should be no problem. I used to assemble circuit boards, and I've still got all of my equipment. :biggrin:

• 2 years later...

I just did mine today, threw the charger on the car, and I'll check my results either in a few hours or tomorrow.

(also, 2+ year old thread!)