Busted door

Sasquatch

so i have a 92 z34 and the door wont open from inside or out. no its not locked. im sure i busted it because i was replacing the door handle and lock. when i shut the door it wouldnt open. luckily i had the door panel off when i shut the door. can some one tell me what to do without mangling the outside of the door?

I've had this happen. usually it happens when the door open rod is adjusted too far out its actually applying some pressure on the latch mech and is not allowing it to open.

In the past i've been able to get a second person and while you smack the door (not too hard) just under the handle if you do that just right and have the other person work the handle (usually outside but try inside too) it will be nice enough to pop open.

HA. Beating it was the first thing I tried. Its a coupe so I have those vertical door handles (idk if that makes a difference). Also pulling the outside handle doesnt seem to do anything. The door panel inside is off and I can reach the latch mech

the handle is most likely applying pressure on the mechanism binding it. get help from a friend to "open and release" the door handle while looking at the mechanism... and detach the exterior door handle where it is attached to the mechanism.... pressure off and the inside handle should work, though you may need to lock then unlock the door first...

PROPER INSTALLATION:

the door handle rod should be no more than 1 turn into applying pressure on the mechanism. you should TEST all functions of the door handle WITHOUT CLOSING DOOR. you can do this by manually closing the latch on the door with your finger(and pulling it open with your finger) and test releasing the latch, including performing a lock and unlock cycle. I've noticed that the door handles that bind up do so after the first time it is locked. THINK ABOUT IT. You can't unlock a door while someone is holding on the handle, can you? SAME DIFFERENCE. Now you know................

Edited by Crazy K