Some bugs about the 91....

Night Fury

Lots of fuel issues to begin with.

-Fuel gauge is way off.... What would cause that and how to fix?

-Hard to put gas in it... I have to put it on the slow setting.... Why?

-I think the tank has a hole in it too... it spills out if I fill it up..

So obviously I have to drop the tank, LOL

Other than that, I am getting TERRIBLE mileage. How badly does a engine that doesn't warm up harm mpg? Temp gauge rarely even gets to the gauge, so I'll replace the thermostat tomorrow.

There is more stuff.... Just can't remember

-Fuel gauge is way off.... What would cause that and how to fix?

This is probably your fuel sender. Most likely the float is messed up. The tiny metal contacts that slide along the resistor card corrode and sometimes stop making proper contact. New (or good used) sender would fix it. Just swap over your pump and resistor card.

-Hard to put gas in it... I have to put it on the slow setting.... Why?

I had read once that the EVAP charcoal canister can cause this (??)... Maybe? Not really sure.

-I think the tank has a hole in it too... it spills out if I fill it up..

When you say "fill it up" do you mean you fill it up until the pump automatically stops? Or you top it off? Sometimes the fuel can get leaked out the vapor vent in the filler neck if the tank is too full.

Dropping the tank sucks. I feel your pain.

I'd check the wiring TO the sending unit; and from the sending unit to ground.

The typical problem is that the gauge reads "over-full"; the needle is WAY past the full mark when the tank is filled. This is caused by too much resistance in the wire; or corroded connections ANYWHERE in the wiring harness from gauge to sending unit to ground.

Lol what makes you think I hot rod it?

In other news, I got the thermostat replaced today, so it finally actually gets to operating temp. As for the gauge, I can let the needle get to ALMOST empty before it's actually empty.

Lol what makes you think I hot rod it?

In other news, I got the thermostat replaced today, so it finally actually gets to operating temp. As for the gauge, I can let the needle get to ALMOST empty before it's actually empty.

Just giving you some shit... And Im glad you got the temp problem fixed... I thought the thermostat was new but i guess i was wrong

In my 90 I had a similar fuel gauge issue, except at 1/2 tank it was empty. I ended up changing the fuel pump/sender with the brand new stuff I had in my parts car and that solved my issue, but what was really weird was that I plugged my old sender back in on the floor and the gauge would work correct if I moved it manually :think:

Breakdown's guide to filling up AMY (this no longer applies as AMY's been fixed - except the TCC issue) . .

When filling up the gas, don't pump slower adjust your pumping angle.

PROBLEM #1: Gas not pumping at full speed, keep on getting stops.

SOLUTION: Put the pump all of the way in. Then pull the pump out ever so slightly and adjust the angle so that the pump is kinda shooting parallel to the ground more than a 15-25 degree slope down. Work it a little, don't be stupid and pull the pump most of the way out, but you'll get it. I had the exact same problem and sometimes it was just certain pumps that did it but AMY always struggled with that.

My philosophy is that the gas is hitting the filler neck at a bad angle and ricocheting back into the pump indicating that the car is full.

PROBLEM #2: Gas is leaking out of tank when the pump clicks for full.

SOLUTION: When you're within about 5 gallons or less of the amount that you think that the car will take, put your ear close to the pump and let up on the pump a little. The second you hear "girgle, gorgle, girgle" let go of the pump, you will be maximum full without wasting fuel or killing the environment (your paint). Since your car is a 1991, I'm betting that the fuel tank was likely replaced and that you have a hole in the fuel filler neck. Some people have simply garden hosed this to fix that problem, but my method is a good stay-by till you get there.