My 98 is shutting off....

swift13

I'm betting on the crank position sensor.

A few months after I bought my GTP, it would do the same thing. Sometimes, it would go a week or 2 with no problems. Other times, it wouldn't even start when I went out to the car in the morning. Several times, it died while driving, usually starting right back up again. I finally got the clue that revealed the problem. A couple times, the car stuttered before it died (or sometimes didn't die at all). When it did this, I noticed the tach dropped to 0, and stayed there even if the car was still running. When I restarted the car, the tach would go back to normal. I looked this up and found out that the tach gets its signal from the CPS, and if it looses the signal even for a split second, you loose the tach. Replaced the CPS, and haven't had a problem since.

I'm betting on the crank position sensor.

A few months after I bought my GTP, it would do the same thing. Sometimes, it would go a week or 2 with no problems. Other times, it wouldn't even start when I went out to the car in the morning. Several times, it died while driving, usually starting right back up again. I finally got the clue that revealed the problem. A couple times, the car stuttered before it died (or sometimes didn't die at all). When it did this, I noticed the tach dropped to 0, and stayed there even if the car was still running. When I restarted the car, the tach would go back to normal. I looked this up and found out that the tach gets its signal from the CPS, and if it looses the signal even for a split second, you loose the tach. Replaced the CPS, and haven't had a problem since.

x2

Had this issue with the anteater as well.

the battery is what i was leaning toward with it being at least 2 years old but i get no battery light on or anything. it may be the wiring but until it becomes more consistent i cant really do anything