interior window button lights do not turn on

npfd

Hey,

I did a quick search and didn't find anything.

Its been a good while that in the 97 Cutlass Supreme, that the interior lights of each button, door locks, do not work in the night. The only one that does work is the door locks on the Driver's side. The other should light up I would think, like the passenger's and the rear window buttons.

Any ideas how to go about fixing this?

Thanks!

Is that possible for all the driver side window switches, and all the other 3 door switches for the lights to burn out?

I did take it apart today and tested the voltages, I think that its a small gray wire that feeds voltage, as its the one that reads 11v or 9 with the car on, when I manually switched to parking lights and headlights on.

Hey thanks,

Fuses, where the regular fuse box is?

I'm assuming this small gray wire comes from the lightswitch unit?

Can these bulbs be picked up for cheap from a electronics store? I just find it strange that all the other bulbs would go out except one.. anyways we'll see :)

thanks again.

Your bulbs most likely have burned out. that is totally typical.

All the single switches have a "grain of wheat" bulb in a bulb holder that can be removed from the center bottom of the switch.

The master door switch has bulbs inside it, but I haven't looked at one of those recently enough to describe it, but I think they are soldered in place... and require switch disassembly to replace.

Cool, so I took one of the bulbs out today, and I needed to turn it out, with a screwdriver then it just falls out.

I went to canadian tire in search for replacement bulbs I couldn't find any. I guess I have to remove the bulb and possibly check an electronics store, that carries bunch of things... I'm afraid they may only carry LEDs. I think the bulb on our cars is a 12v bulb? I don't know if I'll find a blue coated one like is in the car.

Thanks again... did any of you guys replace yours?

Where are you located? I buy my interior bulbs at The Source, they carry them, and yes they are 12V bulbs. I have a new pack in my car right now to fix this exact thing :lol: If you need a part number, I'll get it tomorrow. The bulbs aren't actually blue coated, its a rubber cover that you have to pry off, and transfer to the new bulb (be careful not to tear it!).

Thanks a bunch!

I will look into this today or more likely tomorrow. I just called the dealer for the bulbs, and they only sell the whole units haha.

I think I need like 9 bulbs so we'll see. Thanks again.

Yup so I removed the bulbs on the passenger side, and the blue rubber broke off, as in it got stuck, heated on, the old bulb and the only it came off was by tearing it.

Now for the drivers side, I disconnected the connectors and tried getting the two plastic pieces apart and I think I was leveraging in the wrong area and might have cracked the switch part, as it didn't work at first but after pushing it in it does.

So now, which tabs do I push in to get the switches out, I know there are lower ones but those seem to be quite difficult.

I just don't want to break anything else....

edit - it seems like the rear window buttons have no lights, based upon what I saw... could anyone confirm that? I don't see that small grey wire in back and where a light should be, the socket, nothing is there, and the panel that holds the button itself is opaque.

Thanks.

Edited by npfd