91 Olds Cutlass Defrost fan runs with the key out!

bender01

Like the title says here is my latest problem. I cant even figure out what fuse to pull to stop it! Im dissconecting the battery for now or it will drain it. I guess the switch may be bad but when the car is running it will run faster and slower but will run very lightly when everything is off. Including when the key is out.This car has 64K miles and Id like to keep it stock.

Any ideas to fix or tips on where to buy the climate control unit if I need to replace it would be very welcome.

Thanks

Ben

Well ive had the Electronic Climate control out off the car and still blowing. I have disconnected the fan/blower under the glove box. At least its not running constantly. Are the fuses or relays under the dash called the convienience center in this useless Haynes manual something I should check? I pulled everything one at a time and the blower never quit. Only time it quit was pulling the fuse under the hood. This has to be a simple problem.

I have the auto climate control.

Edited by bender01

?!?!?!?! there is a hvac control box deep center on the bottom of the HVAC unit. could be the issue. It is practically against the firewall and the bottom of the dash, should have two connectors going to it. best test = grab a j/y unit and plug the connectors into it. if the problem is solved, replace. if you need a unit, let me know....

Ok . I found it. Is that called the blower module, that i found searching here? Can I get this at autozone? The J/Ys are not close here. Im just going to take it out. I plugged the blower back in and its off still. Wish I hadnt taken my dash apart now. Whats the going price on this unit from you?

My E-mail is

bender@hargray.com

Thanks again Crazy K

Well GM will sell me one for $200. The auto recyclers are not helping either. A u pull salvage in Ga said the have a bunch of Luminas and firebirds and one 93 supreme that uses that same module.Does anyone recognize this part so I dont waste time pulling the wrong one.

I found this but it has four pins, mine is six.

http://www.google.com/products?q=GM+blower+motor+module+1991+oldsmobile&hl=en&aq=f

Edited by bender01

Does anyone have access to the Hollander parts interchange?

Thanks?!

GMs new part # is 12368388

It is the same # in google link! If I buy from GM and it doesnt work they wont take it back! I doubt the google business will either. Maybe I dont need those two extra pins?

Hollander?

Im not sure how much $ that cross referencing Hollander is but I bet if a few of us got together we could share the link through here and help lots of us?

Edited by bender01

Thanks all. I did find a comment from Amazon reviews about the 3 and 1 pin working in a 4 and 2 pin. Its in the reviews of this part im going to paste. Thanks for all your help. I do plan to go to this cash and carry site wed. to see a 93 supreme. I doubt its a vert and those nice parts would be long gone from the southern sun. A friend is looking for some Sentra parts too. Any odd ball southern specific items that are small ill check for you. Ill post theyre site as well! You could call them?

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-15-71971-Blower-Control-Module/dp/B000C9DGZ0

http://www.iluvused.com/index.html

Savannah GA is where Im headed. Crazy K. Id like to buy your part if you have it. I dont know what Ill find in GA. I might get 3 for 10$..?? If I do Ill test them and wait for the next guy like me here!

Ben

• 3 weeks later...

Could that module cause the HVAC to only operate through the defrost vents? I can turn mine on and off but no matter which button I push only the defrost vents have anything blowing out of them.

Could that module cause the HVAC to only operate through the defrost vents? I can turn mine on and off but no matter which button I push only the defrost vents have anything blowing out of them.

= vacuum supply issue. You have a broken vaccum line under the hood below the master cylinder area, most likely at a plastic check valve thingy... bet you cruise doesn't work either (93 down only)

= vacuum supply issue. You have a broken vaccum line under the hood below the master cylinder area, most likely at a plastic check valve thingy... bet you cruise doesn't work either (93 down only)

Thanks I'll check that out. I don't know if the cruise works, it has a non-GP turn signal stalk in it and I havent tried using it yet.